hatchling foaming at the mouth

melodee

Location (City and/or State)
Surprise, Arizona
I took my new hatchling outside to get some sun this morning. He was zooming around the yard and I noticed he started getting spit bubbles around his mouth. I took him inside right away and soaked him. I live in Phoenix AZ and he was in direct sunlight but we were only out there 10 min at most probably more like 5 min. Now I am afraid to put him in the sun but I know he needs it. What do you guys suggest? I am new to this I just got him 4 days ago.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It can be a sign of over heating, when they get to hot, in a last ditch effort to cool off, they produce foam/spit.

melodee

Surprise, Arizona
Now I am afraid to take him in the sun. Will he still get the same benefits if I have him in the shade?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Yes, you just need to provide adequate shade, for when he goes outside.

M

Maggie Cummings

He should always have access to shade especially in Arizona. I'd also make sure he's has access to cool water too. Babies are really susceptible to overheating...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also be sure to provide water. A hatchling really doesn't need to be outside for hours to benefit from the sun. Hatchlings can become overheated very quickly. A shaded area with a small spot if sun would be safer and they can benefit from the shaded area too. Keep outside for 1/2 hour to an hour is all and give a good soak fate and even before wouldn't hurt.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Let me state, without sounding mean. You should never have direct sun, without some shade. Hope I succeeded.

melodee

Surprise, Arizona
You didn't sound mean at all I have a lot to learn so thank you for your answers you guys are very helpful. We will try again tomorrow in the shade :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When it is hot out (say 90 or above) I like to have at least 3/4 of the enclosure set up with heavy shade. Laying something over the top of the enclosure is not adequate as this will still get too hot. You need high over head shade like from trees or bushes. It also helps to use a sprinkler and or misters to give them some humidity and some evaporative cooling.

To answer your question, yes they still get UV when outside in the shade. UV refracts and bounces around outside. When we say "sun" your tortoise, we mean put it outside in a safe enclosure that meets all of its needs and allows the tortoise the opportunity to sun itself if it wishes. This time of year in AZ you've only got a couple hours in the morning or evening when its not too hot to put babies out. UV is at its lowest during these times.

Here are some threads that should help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/