Hatchling forstenii,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
morechelonia002.jpg

This pic is the hatchling I wrote of last month. 2011 is looking to be the best year to date. My 4th female nested today, first time ever. I have had her since 2007.
Five ova incubating, looking good thus far. A sixth is in diapause, who knows?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Congrats on the hatchling!

Diapause? What regimen do you use? I incubated mine sans diapause. Those that appeared good hatched; those that didin't went bad relatively early...

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
HLogic said:
Congrats on the hatchling!

Diapause? What regimen do you use? I incubated mine sans diapause. Those that appeared good hatched; those that didin't went bad relatively early...

Diapause is something new I am trying. One ova from 2010 still had that white glow after four months, but no development. Instead of discarding it, I am cooling(low 70s) until the end of this month. It is a long shot but worth trying.
I would like to hear more of your success, especially elongata. I have a had some since 2008, no reproduction to date. Cold winter temperatures are a likely cause.
Do you know of many travencorica around?
I have seen only one place with them.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Nice going Benjamin.
Could you provide a bit of background regarding your adults? I am interested in this species myself but only remember a time when most Forsten's tortoises came into the country in terrible condition and were difficult to acclimate.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
cdmay said:
Nice going Benjamin.
Could you provide a bit of background regarding your adults? I am interested in this species myself but only remember a time when most Forsten's tortoises came into the country in terrible condition and were difficult to acclimate.

My adults were imported in 2002-2004. They were established by a chelonian vet for some time(years) prior to them coming to me.
I was introduced first to them at the Memphis Zoo in 2002. I went on to publish the 1st edition reginal studbook for the species in 2005 at the zoo. I also gave a husbandry presentation on I.forstenii at the Turtle Survival Alliance conference in Atlanta in 2007, my young are also featured in the 2007 TSA newsletter.
Currently my tortoises are being phased into the current regional studbook. I am working on "The presence or absence of the nuchal scute in F1 I.forstenii". Maybe I will present at the upcoming conference in Orlando this August? For 2012 a baseline of normal gut flora values is being planned.
Hope this helps. Forstenii are easy going if appropriate husbandry methods are met. They are also very personable after time.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Benjamin said:
[I am working on "The presence or absence of the nuchal scute in F1 I.forstenii". Maybe I will present at the upcoming conference in Orlando this August? For 2012 a baseline of normal gut flora values is being planned.
Hope this helps. Forstenii are easy going if appropriate husbandry methods are met. They are also very personable after time.

That is pretty much what I figured. Interesting about nuchal scute issue.
I recently wrote an article for the German turtle magazine, 'Schildkroten im Fokus' titled "An Appearence of Nuchal Scutes in the South American Tortoise, Chelonoidis carbonaria" where the nuchal scutes in Indotestudo was discussed a bit. It's odd how nuchal scutes can appear and disappear in populations of forstenii. Neat tortoises!
I would love to work with either them or I. travancorica one day.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I have not had success with the elongata yet. I purchased them about this time last year and 2 eggs were dropped the day I rec'd them. Neither of those eggs proved viable. In the last few weeks, both adult females have dropped 7 eggs (3 and 4 per clutch). I haven't seen anything in terms of development yet but the eggs look good. One of them has a hole in the shell where the female put a foot through it but it still looks good too.

With respect to the forstenii, I have successfully hatched 4 using essentially the same temps & humidity as for the rest of the torts (except Pyxis). I have only been able to find a few eggs before the raccoons get them. That will be remedied before they start laying this year...

My understanding of the nuchal scute in forstenii is that it is a geographical variation in populations. Those from the southern part of the range have nuchal scutes and are smaller. Those from the northern part lack nuchals and are larger. My group does not completely conform to this morphology - I have a rather large male with a nuchal - but otherwise seems to hold true. As there is no lineage difference it would be interesting to see if nuchals could be produced from non-nuchal parents.

As far as travancorica are concerned, I have seen them from two sources within the last 6 months but I cannot be certain whether they were actually of separate origin or not (yet). It is possible that one source was selling them for another.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
HLogic said:
I have not had success with the elongata yet. I purchased them about this time last year and 2 eggs were dropped the day I rec'd them. Neither of those eggs proved viable. In the last few weeks, both adult females have dropped 7 eggs (3 and 4 per clutch). I haven't seen anything in terms of development yet but the eggs look good. One of them has a hole in the shell where the female put a foot through it but it still looks good too.

With respect to the forstenii, I have successfully hatched 4 using essentially the same temps & humidity as for the rest of the torts (except Pyxis). I have only been able to find a few eggs before the raccoons get them. That will be remedied before they start laying this year...

My understanding of the nuchal scute in forstenii is that it is a geographical variation in populations. Those from the southern part of the range have nuchal scutes and are smaller. Those from the northern part lack nuchals and are larger. My group does not completely conform to this morphology - I have a rather large male with a nuchal - but otherwise seems to hold true. As there is no lineage difference it would be interesting to see if nuchals could be produced from non-nuchal parents.

As far as travancorica are concerned, I have seen them from two sources within the last 6 months but I cannot be certain whether they were actually of separate origin or not (yet). It is possible that one source was selling them for another.

The northern/southern population does not conform to my observations either.
I have data going back about 6 years on cb forstenii and the nuchal scute. It is interesting to say the least.
The F2 generation should be more informative, though that is still a few years out.I have 15 F1 generation going so far, and another 10 or so elsewhere. This with no plans for sales any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.