Hatchling info! Would love to hear what you guys think!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
All,

Couple of days ago I have received and e-mail about multiple eggs about to hatch soon. The breeder is predicting the eggs to hatch 2-3 weeks from now. I am high thinking of purchasing one and i wanted to know what is the proper way of taking of them. Can you guys please provide me with any information on how to raise a new Greek Ibera Hatchling? I plant to pick him/her up a couple of days once he/she comes out of that egg.

Main concern:
-Substrate
-Feeding pattern
-What to feed since he/she is still a new born.
-Temperature
-Humidity

From my understanding, you dont really have to worry bout feeding them until the sac is gone but I just wanted to know if its better to go ahead and feed them right away anyways.

Also, would it be alright place him/her w/ my yearling Ibera? (understanding that i have to separate the both for a while until both are confirmed health)

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you soon!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have new leopard hatchlings, so I can share a few things I have learned about hatchlings which I'm sure apply to Greeks too. First, It takes 3 or 4 days for the yolk sac to shrink enough to let them out of the brooder box to walk around in an enclosure. Also, they do eat quite quickly so don't rely on them getting enough food from the yolk sac. One of mine was eating lettuce on his 3rd day while still in the brooder box. You shouldn't be in a hurry because you want to see how healthy these guys are and make sure they are eating well and active. Many breeders have told me not to let mine go for 5 or 6 weeks to make sure everything is okay with them. Plus, they start developing different personalities which you can see.

You shouldn't put a hatchling in with a larger tort. These guys will get squashed or knocked over, and probably bullied. These little guys require a lot of attention too, so be ready for that. I have found one flipped over a few times already.

I'll let those who know Greeks share the enclosure info with you. Just wanted to pass along some things I just learned with my hatchlings. Good luck - these little guys are so cute.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Thank you for that information. A much as I want to jump the gun and buy them, I rather get more information on how to raise them first. I have one goal and one goal only. Raise a healthy tort from the day they were born till the day I die! This forum as inspired me a lot! Not till I joined this forum did I ever took my tortoise as serious as I did and I love them so! I want 3 for my family and and sulcata for when we get our dream house! Sorry tell you my life story but i just want people to know that I'm very serious about this and would love to gets all the info I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.