Hatchling no poop in 5 days

Tbaldwin7725

Location (City and/or State)
NY
Hi my Henrie is about 3 months. He was pooping every day sometimes skipping a day or two here and there. I'm worried because he hasn't pooped in 5 days now. Everything else is totally normal. Pee and urates normal eating good, active. I've tried extra soaks and letting him roam around his room for a bit to try and get him to go and all he ever does is pee (sometimes clear, sometimes normal urates). I'm worried about impaction and I'm probably going to call the vet In the morning.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi my Henrie is about 3 months. He was pooping every day sometimes skipping a day or two here and there. I'm worried because he hasn't pooped in 5 days now. Everything else is totally normal. Pee and urates normal eating good, active. I've tried extra soaks and letting him roam around his room for a bit to try and get him to go and all he ever does is pee (sometimes clear, sometimes normal urates). I'm worried about impaction and I'm probably going to call the vet In the morning.
I don't think you need the vet yet - they can do more harm than good.
The more information you can give the better and will help members help you e.g what species is Henrie, what do you feed him and what source of UVB and how old is it?
You could try grating some cucumber to a mush (not skin or seeds) and add it to his food. It's not a good regular food but it is watery and has a laxative effect so can help move things along.
I also soak any leaves before feeing to rehydrate them which will help hydrate him too.
I've been able to make my tort poop in his water just by gently shaking his soaking tray - they don't like vibrations.
I'm sure you'll have other suggestions from other members so try everything before involving the vet.

Tbaldwin7725

NY
I don't think you need the vet yet - they can do more harm than good.
The more information you can give the better and will help members help you e.g what species is Henrie, what do you feed him and what source of UVB and how old is it?
You could try grating some cucumber to a mush (not skin or seeds) and add it to his food. It's not a good regular food but it is watery and has a laxative effect so can help move things along.
I also soak any leaves before feeing to rehydrate them which will help hydrate him too.
I've been able to make my tort poop in his water just by gently shaking his soaking tray - they don't like vibrations.
I'm sure you'll have other suggestions from other members so try everything before involving the vet.
Henrie is a 3 month old Russian tortoise. I have a T5 strip light about 12 inches from his shell. I've been growing my own weeds so he was getting mostly plantain, lambs lettuce, pansy leaves, bellflower with some escarole and red/green lettuce mixture but I recently ran out of the weeds until more grow. So the last few days it's just been red/green leaf lettuce some escarole and some dandelion. I did give him some cucumber (no seeds) about three days ago. Still no poop. His basking area is around 91-95 and his cool side is 77-82ish depending where u put the temp gun. He has a humid hide he goes under to sleep that is on a thermostat to be 80 degrees (he burrows down to the temp he wants I think) and it's 80% humidity under his hide. I keep the rest of his enclosure around 60-70% humidity throughout the day. Keeping his substrate damp by spraying it down a few times a day.