Hatchling not eating

Sparkleofblue

Location (City and/or State)
California
I got a leopard hatchling 2 months ago and she's not eating. I soak daily, have all the lights, her temp is 95. She has a vet appointment on the 31st. I was just wondering what i could do tell then.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most common reason a hatchling isn't eating is incorrect living conditions.

Do you know what the previous owner fed? sometimes you have to feed what he's used to eating because he doesn't recognize new food as edible.

Please post a picture of your tortoise's habitat. (I don't think you need a vet appointment. Most vets are ok with health problems, but really don't know about husbandry problems)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
We need more info.
95 where? There are 4 temps to know. We need the cool side temp, warm side temp, basking spot, and night temp.
What lighting do you use to achieve these temps?
What is your humidity?
What do you feed?
What substrate did you use?
Where did you get her?
Please give us a picture of her and her enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For babies, I keep the whole enclosure 80-85F with no hot/cool side. Also, you can take a piece of kitchen foil and cover the opening where the light is.

Your baby needs some hiding places. Put some weighted aquarium fake plants around in there to give him a better sense of security.

United States
What are you feeding it. Are they the dietary supplement tablet things from the store. Feed it lettuce and stop using the tablets if your using those.

Bambam1989

East Texas
What are you feeding it. Are they the dietary supplement tablet things from the store. Feed it lettuce and stop using the tablets if your using those.
A much larger variety is needed than that. Lettuce has little nutritional value.

Sparkleofblue

California
I'm feeding spring mix, squash and kale but she won't eat it. The hot side is 98 and the cool side is in its 70s. The humidity is 50%.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Your cool side needs to be no lower than 80 F, any lower and you increase chances of illness. Your hot side temps sound good though. The humidity needs increased also, aim for 80% or higher. Covering that gap in the lid around the light with aluminum foil should help.

daniellenc

Maryland
Definitely do a search on here for food options and chop it up very tiny and mixed up well. Have you tried Mazuri? It’s like tortoise crack soaked in warm water until soft and mixed in with the food. Where did you get your tort? Asking the breeder what was fed is a good start.

JanelP

Idaho
I know I'm new, but since I just got a 4 month old I'll share my experience. My baby took a couple days to eat and she wouldn't eat much. I picked this stuff up at my walmart grocery and she absolutely loves it. I tried the spring mix and she wouldn't eat it. I put about a loose palm size in for her (thats a good amount I think) in the morning and when I get home from work there is only maybe 2 or 3 parts of pieces dried and not eaten. I also top it with dandilion greens from my lawn.IMG_20180509_193426.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
I know I'm new, but since I just got a 4 month old I'll share my experience. My baby took a couple days to eat and she wouldn't eat much. I picked this stuff up at my walmart grocery and she absolutely loves it. I tried the spring mix and she wouldn't eat it. I put about a loose palm size in for her (thats a good amount I think) in the morning and when I get home from work there is only maybe 2 or 3 parts of pieces dried and not eaten. I also top it with dandilion greens from my lawn.View attachment 238157

Greens are not bad on occasion but are high in oxalic acid and goitrogens which can cause kidney stones, death, and blocks calcium absorption. Added a time or a week is probably fine but should not be fed as a main staple daily nor does it provide enough variety long term.

JanelP

Idaho
Yes, but it might get his baby to eat. Its not her full diet. When I get home I do the pansys, petuna greens geraniums ect. plus this is temp until I get her "pasture" growing I guess you can say. it has chikory, two other dandelions, 3 clovers, some grass, some lettuces, and a microgreens mix.

daniellenc

Maryland
Just not a daily food......there are too many safe foods either in the wild or at the grocery store to feed regularly. This shouldn’t be mixed in more than 1-2 times a week as part of a varied diet and not the bulk. A handful a day is problematic. Look up oxalic acids and goitrogens so you can avoid other greens and plants in this category.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
@daniellenc

You’ve got my a little worried. My baby Russian LOVES dandelion leaves, not the flower, just the leaves. I feed 1 leaf everyday along with at least 5 others varieties of greens/weeds but the dandelion leaf is always eaten first. Is one leaf too much every day?

daniellenc

Maryland
@daniellenc

You’ve got my a little worried. My baby Russian LOVES dandelion leaves, not the flower, just the leaves. I feed 1 leaf everyday along with at least 5 others varieties of greens/weeds but the dandelion leaf is always eaten first. Is one leaf too much every day?

I believe and don’t quote me it’s the dandelion stalks with the highest oxalic acid so I would say no especially if the other foods are not high in it. The mix above is purely greens with oxalic acid and goitrogens which is why I suggested mixing it up. My guy is only a year so I’m still obsessively reading about what’s in everything he likes. I tend to be conservative on his foods as well and rely on tortoise table for info when I identify a new edible outside.