Hatchling not wanting to eat after antibiotics

peridot

Location (City and/or State)
NC
My hatchling was previously on antibiotics for an RI he came with. He’s been off his antibiotics for about 2 weeks now, but I’m still struggling to get him to eat. Is this normal? I know antibiotics can mess up their gut flora. I’m just not sure what else to do to help this little guy out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's perfectly normal. The medication takes away their appetite. You can offer him foods that are on the 'do not feed' list, like iceberg lettuce, cucumber, etc. Then once he's back to eating again slowly wean him off that food and back onto the stuff you were feeding him before.

peridot

NC
That's perfectly normal. The medication takes away their appetite. You can offer him foods that are on the 'do not feed' list, like iceberg lettuce, cucumber, etc. Then once he's back to eating again slowly wean him off that food and back onto the stuff you were feeding him before.

Ok, thank you! I’ll try that! And I shouldn’t worry even though he’s been off antibiotics several weeks?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They heal slower, so a few weeks is normally no big deal after antibiotics, being a hatchling you want to get it eating

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, thank you! I’ll try that! And I shouldn’t worry even though he’s been off antibiotics several weeks?
Sometimes they get into a habit of not eating and you have to work or trick them into starting back up. Yes, you should worry, but it's pretty easy to get them going again.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
There is something called Nutribac and also one called Benebac. It restores the natural gut flora. Maybe he can do with some of this mixed with his food when you are trying him with his favorite food.

peridot

NC

Thank you for the tip! I tried cucumber and it instantly got him eating.

peridot

NC
There is something called Nutribac and also one called Benebac. It restores the natural gut flora. Maybe he can do with some of this mixed with his food when you are trying him with his favorite food.

Thank you! I’ll look these up. Have you tried this before? Is there one you prefer over the other?