Hatchling red foot not eating

Andrea Walker

Location (City and/or State)
Lubbock, TX
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions about my new addition. We got him a few days ago and he's not eaten anything. I'm rather worried about him. He sleeps most of the time in his humid hide but every now and then he will come out to explore and to drink. He is housed on sphagnum moss, his temps are lower 80s on the cool side and around 95 on the warm side of his enclosure. His humidity is 75 to 80% at all times. At night we keep him at around 75 degrees. I've been soaking him every day in warm water for about 20 minutes. I have not seen him eliminate since we got him. I wonder if he is still stressed out from the trip from the breeder. He has shown no interest in food at all. I've been offering kale, collard greens, beet leaves, dandelion, and some cactus. He still has an egg tooth and a slight umbilical scar if that means anything. If anyone has any advice it would be sincerely appreciated!! I want to take the best possible care of my new little tort!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Baby Redfoot are sensative.
Your high temperature is WAY to high. Should be no more than 88. On fact, your whole enclosure needs to be 80 to 86 if we are going for perfection.
Redfoot also need high humidity. Not being wet all the time. And they stay away from bright lights.
I recommend a small CHE for heat with no light and a strip florescent for uvb. I use an 18" 5.0
With everything perfect, you should still expect to see babies sleep and hide a lot.
But also eat like pigs.
This species can eat fruit. See if you can Jumpstart his interest with a strawberry.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Still has his eggtooth? Wow. Too young, but with the right conditions he should be OK. Make sure you follow the good advice already given here! Try some hard boiled egg for protein, with mustard greens mixed in. Try a bit of mango or banana or pumpkin.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had a YF baby that wouldn't eat. I bought a couple jars of Gerber baby food, the most exotic fruit flavor I could find, and then I chopped up the greens and added a little bit of the fruit baby food to the greens, then I mixed it all up so the greens were covered in the fruit. He eventually started eating.