Hatchling Redfoot not eating

Redheart44

Location (City and/or State)
FAYETTEVILLE
This is my first baby Red Foot and I am concerned. I have had him for about a week and a half but he does not seem to eat. I am so concerned I got a camera to watch his habitat to see if maybe he is eating when I'm not around.

I give him a ten minute soak in warm water every day and after that is when he is most active he walks up to his food and chomps like he is going to eat but does not. Today for the first time I got him to eat one super tiny piece of strawberry, but he wouldn't eat anymore.

KIMG0437_01_BURST1000437_COVER.JPGKIMG0434.JPG

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
what are up offering him? seems like fruit... and carrot. try weeds kale, mustard greens which they love. lettuce, cucumber or squash. try soaking for 20-30 minutes.

Redheart44

FAYETTEVILLE
I will try that.
So far I have tried pellets for red food tortoises (two different brands), spinach, celery leaves, sunflowers, watermelon, strawberries, blackberries, zucchini, green bell pepper, and carrots. After the first four days I was putting out a buffet hoping he would like something...
The only things he has seemed interested in has been the sunflower, watermelon, and strawberries, but the only one he took a bite out of was the strawberry.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Also you might want to change the substrate , that red bark is actually terrible for them, I like coir air, myself, but Cypress much is what most keeps here use, it also looks a little dry, might help to add some humidty to the encloser, as well

jeneliza

burton michigan
Yep, need a little more humidty, for him, should be between 70-80, this really important, for there growth when young, has he pooped?
Also does he have a hidding place I can't tell by the photos, if not he may not feel safe yet, and this could stop him from eating, as well,

Redheart44

FAYETTEVILLE
Also does he have a hidding place I can't tell by the photos, if not he may not feel safe yet, and this could stop him from eating, as well,
Yes I have a little plastic cave he loves to hide in and some spganum miss in the other corner he sometimes will hide in.

Redheart44

FAYETTEVILLE
Also you might want to change the substrate , that red bark is actually terrible for them, I like coir air, myself, but Cypress much is what most keeps here use, it also looks a little dry, might help to add some humidty to the encloser, as well
Well this is not red bark it is fir bark.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Well this is not red bark it is fir bark.
you can use it , but the mulch or the coconut fiber holds humidty better, just trying to help you, with what maybe causing him from eating, little ones are very sensitive to temp.and humidty, this is the only reason I point it out,

Redheart44

FAYETTEVILLE
you can use it , but the mulch or the coconut fiber holds humidty better, just trying to help you, with what maybe causing him from eating, little ones are very sensitive to temp.and humidty, this is the only reason I point it out,
Good to know thanks I will try that too. Anything to help keep him healthy

jeneliza

burton michigan
121772"]
[/QUOTE]

Good to know thanks I will try that too. Anything to help keep him healthy
I made this mistake myself, I used it for about a year, I know most pet shops push it for tortoises, but it really isn't right,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most common cause for a baby tortoise to not eat is because he's not warm enough. However, in this case I'm thinking it's because you're not offering the type of feed redfooted tortoises are supposed to be eating. Try offering things like Grape Leaves, Dandelion Greens, Curly Endive ( not Belgian ) / Chicory, Escarole, Collard Greens and Hibiscus (blooms & leaves). You can also feed edible weeds.

If your "red bark" is fir bark or cypress mulch, it's quite ok to use as a substrate. I've been using that type substrate for years with no ill effects.

Have you had a chance to read our care sheets? You can find them pinned towards the top of our redfoot tortoise section.

tarzanmike

florida
I'm to the whole tortoise deal but my redfoot hatchling was kinda picky at first. i offered it a hibiscus flower and it ate it. also enjoys strawberries and dark leaf greens. i keep my tank at 95 in the hot side and about 82 in the cool end. i also put in a camera to watch my torts. they often eat wen im not watching.i hope some of this helps