Hatchling Redfoot not eating

jeneliza

Location (City and/or State)
burton michigan
The most common cause for a baby tortoise to not eat is because he's not warm enough. However, in this case I'm thinking it's because you're not offering the type of feed redfooted tortoises are supposed to be eating. Try offering things like Grape Leaves, Dandelion Greens, Curly Endive ( not Belgian ) / Chicory, Escarole, Collard Greens and Hibiscus (blooms & leaves). You can also feed edible weeds.

If your "red bark" is fir bark or cypress mulch, it's quite ok to use as a substrate. I've been using that type substrate for years with no ill effects.

Have you had a chance to read our care sheets? You can find them pinned towards the top of our redfoot tortoise section.
Mine had huge problems with fir bark, she got a piece embedded in body between her shell and under body, no disrespect, but I would never recommend it, it was very nasty, and I had to have the vet remove it, because it was inflamed, and caused a infection, maybe it's rare , I don't know, but I can't say I trust it after my case,

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Looks like you are in NC. See if you can find any edible flowers, squash flowers have started blooming here in SC and torts love them. Soon, rose of Sharon (also called Althea) will start blooming. This is the “cold hardy” hibiscus species that is likely to be planted widely in NC landscapes. I have never seen a baby tortoise that wouldn’t eat hibiscus. You could also buy a tropical (indoor) hibiscus plant and harvest the flowers, but there is some concern with regards to what it may have been treated with (pesticides etc).