Hatchling redfoot problems. softning plastron

Michael Pancari

5 Year Member
I recently purchased a redfoot and cant seem to get everything right.
first his eyes were getting glazed over and that seems fine now after i raised his humidity in the bin and he seemed a little more acive. Now his plastron is beginning to get softer i noticed today after i soaked him.
i checked again hours later and its still soft. It wasn't soft when i got him. I soak him once a day for 15 minutes. Please help:(

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Provide a cuttlebone for calcium and either a good UVB light or direct sun exposure. How old is the hatchling?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Is the uvb source new (less than 6 months old)? Has the tortoise been allowed outside to get some sun? What kinda calcium is provided and how much?

Michael Pancari

5 Year Member
temperature is 80 or more during the day. yes it seems softer since i got the tortoise. I have not supplemented the tort besides some mazuri food once every 2 days.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
How's his appetite? I would offer cuttlebone and/or sprinkle some cuttlebone on his food.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
That's normal. I would make sure he's getting all of his dietary needs met and correct uv requirements.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If his shell is getting softer the uvb lamp is not working or you have it set to high . What type of lamp are you using?

Michael Pancari

5 Year Member
Btw thank you for all the answers and replies. My favorite forum ive been apart of so far.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't like them type of lamps . They get to hot and are to bright . I use a 10.0 t8 tube type fixture for uvb . Then I use 40 watt soft white lamps from wal-mart. For night heat I use a che on a thermostat . If you can't set things up like this. Try adding plants for blocking some of the brightness of your lamp . Then he should come out in the open more .

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
repti sun 5.0. But hows he suppose to get uvb rays if he stays in the hide all day?

There was a time when I asked this question as well. I don't think that there's a definite answer on this, but I can take an (attempt at an) educated guess. I think that what little exposure our captive reds get from the uv we provide is *just* enough to keep them healthy. Yes, from what I've read and observed, baby tortoises hide A LOT while young and small. However, they get *some* uv when they walk out to eat or drink (if the light exposure is over the food and water dishes). See if you can upgrade your uvb bulb to a 10.0 because I think I've read that 5.0s really don't put out enough uvb. And also, if there are any chances for natural sun, I think that would help too.

Michael Pancari

5 Year Member
alright ill get the 10.0 tube shouldnt be a problem. But today he has decided to sleep outside the hide under the light on a rock.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A tortoise's shell gets soft because the tortoise isn't getting the required calcium, either from his food or from a supplement. And in order for the calcium to work inside the body, the tortoise must have UVB either from the sun or a good UVB light. Not UVA, but UVB. Calcium and UVB - quite necessary for growing tortoises.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah I wouldn't follow all of that . I would use supplements . The diet part is good but I feed more than they can eat . A tortoise in the wild walks eats hides eats walks then eats . So feed him and supplement him give him uvb or take him outside for an hour or so daily .