Hatchling Redfoot Weight Concern

Scute Mob

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern CT
My Hatchling is around five months old. He left the breeder's on Tuesday weighing 82g. I just weighed him today and he is 78g. I know there is an adjustment period and such, but I am definitely concerned. Any advice as to what I can do to help him gain weight? So far he has had small amounts of kale, collards, opuntia cactus and raddicio. Outside he has munched on clover but I can't get him to eat any in his enclosure.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I wouldn't worry just yet, a few grams weight loss can be from something as simple as a poop prior to being weighed. You could try mixing in some mazuri a couple of times a week to help with the weight gain and make sure you are doing daily soaks. I'm sure some of the experienced redfoot keepers will chime in soon with more suggestions.

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
I wouldn't worry just yet, a few grams weight loss can be from something as simple as a poop prior to being weighed. You could try mixing in some mazuri a couple of times a week to help with the weight gain and make sure you are doing daily soaks. I'm sure some of the experienced redfoot keepers will chime in soon with more suggestions.
I will definitely keep up with the daily soaks. I will have to find some Mazuri. Thank you!

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
After fixing some temperature issues, he is now eating well in his enclosure. He LOVES clover, endive and dandelion greens. He is up to 81g.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yesterday he weighed in at 79g, today he is at 85g!
Hi. If you are weighing him daily or even weekly you will see dips in the weight. Poops,food intake and hydration level will play a part in daily weights. I weigh mine monthly. When I first got them I weighed them too often because of my keenness, showing up and down readings, but over the month they were up.
Also for a continuity in your readings, way him/her after a 20min soak and poop.
Your tort looks nice too me. Smooth as. I can tell s/he is looked after good with all the rubble s/he is carrying on the carapace.:D Looks really good.
Try and keep a monthly record of weight and carapace length(SCL).

Scute Mob

Eastern CT
Hi. If you are weighing him daily or even weekly you will see dips in the weight. Poops,food intake and hydration level will play a part in daily weights. I weigh mine monthly. When I first got them I weighed them too often because of my keenness, showing up and down readings, but over the month they were up.
Also for a continuity in your readings, way him/her after a 20min soak and poop.
Your tort looks nice too me. Smooth as. I can tell s/he is looked after good with all the rubble s/he is carrying on the carapace.:D Looks really good.
Try and keep a monthly record of weight and carapace length(SCL).

Thank you so much for your compliments! For now I will weigh him weekly just to keep an eye out for any drastic weight loss, as I am a very new keeper. Once I feel confident that I have his enclosure well figured out and that he has adjusted well, I will relax a bit and weigh him and measure him monthly. Thank you again!