Hatchling sitting in water bowl for hours today

Tbaldwin7725

Location (City and/or State)
NY
My baby 2 month old Russian never used to even get into his water bowl but today he has been sitting in it for hours! I recently changed up his enclosure a bit because I was being told his HHH are was to cold so the CHE area is set to 80-81 now and he did sleep in it last night for the first time but he didn't burrow down like usual he slept above the substrate. The humidity inside the hide says 76-80 throughout the night. Inside the enclosure I try to get it up to 70% humidity but it does drip down In the 50s sometimes. The basking area is around 90-95. But the water dish in on the cool side and I fill it with warm water but throughout the day it gets cold so It must be cold by now and he's still in it!! (Im not home but I see him on camera. Should I be concerned

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Do you take him out of his container and soak him? I am no expert by any means...but he needs a basking spot a little higher...my opinion only...too much humidity and not cooling off at night. I think your ambient temp needs to be higher and he needs to be put in a hide at night...how about you show some photos of his enclosure? Reading material for you...

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My baby 2 month old Russian never used to even get into his water bowl but today he has been sitting in it for hours! I recently changed up his enclosure a bit because I was being told his HHH are was to cold so the CHE area is set to 80-81 now and he did sleep in it last night for the first time but he didn't burrow down like usual he slept above the substrate. The humidity inside the hide says 76-80 throughout the night. Inside the enclosure I try to get it up to 70% humidity but it does drip down In the 50s sometimes. The basking area is around 90-95. But the water dish in on the cool side and I fill it with warm water but throughout the day it gets cold so It must be cold by now and he's still in it!! (Im not home but I see him on camera. Should I be concerned
All sounds good and normal.

50-70% ambient humidity is good for a baby Russian.

80-81 is a good daytime ambient, but it should cool to around 70 at night for a baby. They can tolerate lower night temps, but 65-70ish seems to do them well in my experience when they are little babies.

Check the enclosure for ants or other bugs that might be bugging him and making him want to stay in the water dish.