Hatchling Suddenly Out of Hide Whole Day

rosietort

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver BC
Just wanting to see if this is something to be concerned about.

Up until two days ago, my hatchling was hiding all day. I had to take him/her out to soak daily as well as feed. Right after eating, he/she would quickly retreat to the hide again. Since the temperature has dropped here, I assumed that was normal for this time of year, as I was told by others.

Well, two days ago, my tort has been waking up every morning and spending the entire day out of the hide. Super active, amazing appetite (wants to eat non-stop a lot of times), and snoozing here and there, a lot of times under the flood light, but not in the hide. Even if he/she goes in there, it's not for long. Is this a cause for concern? I read that it could be due to the temps being too cold, but I've temped and nothing has really changed. Right now, after having lights out for hours, the enclosure is sitting at 70 degrees fahrenheit, and in the daytime, the ambient temperature in the middle of the enclosure is 75 degrees. I can get the basking spot temp in the morning, but last I checked, the hottest spot was 93 degrees.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned? He/she was active in the first few weeks and then slowed down in October and has been sleeping most of the days away until now. It's actually gotten colder outside, so I figure more sleeping would be expected, but this is the opposite. Any thoughts? Thanks!

rosietort

Vancouver BC
As long as temps are good, I wouldn't worry. Might just have gotten used to its home and you and feels more comfortable.
Thanks for your response! Just double checking...

The basking temp goes up to 107 degrees in one tiny specific spot, but my tort hangs out in an area that’s around 100.

The cool side of the enclosure is 71.
Right smack in the enclosure middle is 75.
The very back of the hut is 71.

Are these numbers ok? Thank you!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is the care sheet you need which will help you with temps for Russians and everything else

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just wanting to see if this is something to be concerned about.

Up until two days ago, my hatchling was hiding all day. I had to take him/her out to soak daily as well as feed. Right after eating, he/she would quickly retreat to the hide again. Since the temperature has dropped here, I assumed that was normal for this time of year, as I was told by others.

Well, two days ago, my tort has been waking up every morning and spending the entire day out of the hide. Super active, amazing appetite (wants to eat non-stop a lot of times), and snoozing here and there, a lot of times under the flood light, but not in the hide. Even if he/she goes in there, it's not for long. Is this a cause for concern? I read that it could be due to the temps being too cold, but I've temped and nothing has really changed. Right now, after having lights out for hours, the enclosure is sitting at 70 degrees fahrenheit, and in the daytime, the ambient temperature in the middle of the enclosure is 75 degrees. I can get the basking spot temp in the morning, but last I checked, the hottest spot was 93 degrees.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned? He/she was active in the first few weeks and then slowed down in October and has been sleeping most of the days away until now. It's actually gotten colder outside, so I figure more sleeping would be expected, but this is the opposite. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sounds like the tortoise's body has realized that "winter" isn't coming this year, and the little guy is acting accordingly.

rosietort

Vancouver BC
Sounds like the tortoise's body has realized that "winter" isn't coming this year, and the little guy is acting accordingly.
Thanks, Tom! Glad to hear you don’t think this drastic change is anything but that. I was worried when the little one was hiding all day, and worried when suddenly not hiding at all. Non stop worrying. ?

Gotta admit though, it’s been wonderful seeing the little one out and so active.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for your response! Just double checking...

The basking temp goes up to 107 degrees in one tiny specific spot, but my tort hangs out in an area that’s around 100.

The cool side of the enclosure is 71.
Right smack in the enclosure middle is 75.
The very back of the hut is 71.

Are these numbers ok? Thank you!
The 107 is too high but if it's just a small area and s/he can still bask where it's not that hot then I wouldn't worry about it. The 75 is fine, I would try for 80 if it's not too big a deal. The 71 is good.
I would not let it go below 70 at night if you want to keep her up for winter, just incase she does decide it's time to hibernate. I find if I keep mine 70 or above he doesn't try to hibernate. He does slow some in the dead of winter and won't eat as much but still acts normal daily, just not the biggest part of the day.

rosietort

Vancouver BC
The 107 is too high but if it's just a small area and s/he can still bask where it's not that hot then I wouldn't worry about it. The 75 is fine, I would try for 80 if it's not too big a deal. The 71 is good.
I would not let it go below 70 at night if you want to keep her up for winter, just incase she does decide it's time to hibernate. I find if I keep mine 70 or above he doesn't try to hibernate. He does slow some in the dead of winter and won't eat as much but still acts normal daily, just not the biggest part of the day.
Thank you! I think I will add a CHE just to make it warmer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you! I think I will add a CHE just to make it warmer.
Not sure you need to add more heat unless you are thinking it's getting cold at night. They can go into the 60's at night I just find it's easier to keep them active thru winter if it's closer to 70. I wouldn't keep the night temps too warm though.

rosietort

Vancouver BC
I’m still new to this all, so I may have misunderstood your last reply. You mentioned trying to get the middle of the enclosure closer to 80 if it’s not too big of a deal - what would be the best way for me to do that without adding another heat source? Right now I have a uvb tube light and a flood light. Thanks.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
My guess, and it's just that, is that your hatchling got used to his new home environment, and is now comfortable being a bit more active and visible.

Jamie