Hatchling Sulcata keeps flipping over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FBody355

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Carver, MA
So, I got my Sulcata on Christmas and everything had been good. He started off on a 10 gallon tank and he was fine. No being a little booger and trying to climb corners at all. Now he's in a 20 long and he can't keep still! I came home to find him flipped over and had a heart attack, but everything was okay. I then put a flower pot on that corner to try to stop him from climbing.. wrong! He tried and ended up flipping over, luckily I was home.. then a few minutes later he ended up flipped over in his hide. I am building a table for him soon, but in the meantime, how can I get him to stop?

pk2610

5 Year Member
Don't worry. I think he will outgrow it. My two hatchings did the same thing in the beginning and flipped over many times. I remember I had to rush home all the time to find out if they are ok. But after a while, they stopped flipping over when they got used to their set up.

FBody355

5 Year Member
Carver, MA
He just gives me such a heart attack! I'm glad they grew out of out, I really hope he does the same, and fast! I don't know what it is with him and this tank but he cannot stay still. He's like a little kid on sugar!

EKLC

5 Year Member
make sure its flip proof under the heat lamp, thats the big danger zone. You have more time if he flips in a cooler spot. Pretty much just jimmy rig everything he flips over, til theres nothing in there that hes interested in flipping over. They usually flip themselves out pretty soon

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many of the babies do this. In most cases it tapers off after around two weeks in a new enclosure. Its odd. I'll have one clutch, all from the same mother and father, and several in the batch will do this. Then in another clutch from the same parents, none of them do it at all. In the exact same enclosure. I have not been able to figure it out. Either way, yours will stop doing it soon. And its no big deal for them either. Doesn't hurt them at all. Just make sure that you are using a shallow water bowl, as drowning is about the only way they can really hurt themselves.

FBody355

5 Year Member
Carver, MA
Thanks for all the replies & easing my mind. You're all really helpful! =]

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We have some flip over also, it does usually slow down and stop within the first month.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
At least you know the little fella is super healthy and kickin it!!!!!
I agree with everyone else when I got Pipa from Tom she was ALWAYS flipping over and it scared the living daylight out of me. Asha who I also got from Tom and Gupta who was my first little man never flipped over , Pipa was like crazy at it though. After a week or so though it stopped. Pipa is just a little crazy tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
BrinnANDGupta said:
I agree with everyone else when I got Pipa from Tom she was ALWAYS flipping over and it scared the living daylight out of me. Asha who I also got from Tom and Gupta who was my first little man never flipped over , Pipa was like crazy at it though. After a week or so though it stopped. Pipa is just a little crazy tortoise.

Now THAT is interesting. Pipa and Asha were both out of batches that I never saw flipping. I still have 6 from those two clutches and when I moved them into their new double decker enclosure, they still did not ever flip. I find it curious that Pipa took up the flipping hobby when she got to a new place, but Pipa still did not. This is a mystery that I do not understand.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Tom said:
BrinnANDGupta said:

Now THAT is interesting. Pipa and Asha were both out of batches that I never saw flipping. I still have 6 from those two clutches and when I moved them into their new double decker enclosure, they still did not ever flip. I find it curious that Pipa took up the flipping hobby when she got to a new place, but Pipa still did not. This is a mystery that I do not understand.

Shes crazy Tom! when i poke my head into the cage she looks up and stares at me and I'll be like Pipa! All excited not like overly loud tho and the little bugger gives me a dirty look and takes off running haha it's like a game to her cause I don't scare her

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have found that adding lots of security of hiding places helps with flipping situations. By using fake plants/vines, terra cotta pots tilted on the side, humid hide box, etc will prevent them from wanting to climb and there flipping over. Water dishes are always a concern and I always recommend placing a water dish in the center of your setup and never around the walls of your enclosure.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Just like everyone else has been saying, they'll outgrow it. There are ways to prevent it but I'd just hold off and wait for the little guys/girls to grow up. It's natural for them to roam the edges of their habitat.

twilly

5 Year Member
My sulcat does the same but i dont know to stop her any idears she has a big wooden vivarium (y) ;) :)

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
One of the many things I have learned during the last 4 months with Turbo is that every tort is different. You just have to experiment with them to find what works best for the two of you.
I have had my baby since christmas as well. Turbo's first flip with me was a couple days after I got him. Then I upgraded to a larger cage. A couple days later, he flipped. He flipped about 5 times within 2 days. Then he just stopped. Then I gave him his outdoor enclosure, which he is only put in when I get home from school. He was fine for about a month, then escaped! Luckily he was fine but he kept trying to climb out of the far right corner and flipped a couple times. I had to go out of town for a couple of days and was worried something would happen while my parents were watching, so I did a quick fix for his outdoor enclosure. It is made out of my school folders.
Photo03281638_1.jpg
Photo03281638.jpg
Photo03281636_2.jpg

There have been no problems since putting up folders. This is only a temporary fix. Will be putting up a lip all around and adding wire top.

I thought the flipping days were over...
A couple days ago I came home from school with Turbo flipped over in his indoor enclosure. So I did a quick fix for this one too, again with my school folders. All I did was tape them.
While he hasn't flipped over since, there is a indented dirt trail at the front of the enclosure, where you can see he's been pacing. So I am still nervous while at school. Until I put a permanent lip on this one, I have given my amazing neighbor, who's watched our many pets for years now, permission to often check on Turbo.
P4041127.JPG
P4041128.JPG

As you can see, there are a few simple cheap things you can do to help with this problem. Another things I have found helpful..
I get Turbo out everyday. But on the days he isn't out as long as usual... the next day is usually when he goes crazy trying to get out. I figure he is bored.
Also, I have found that if I feed him right before I leave for school he will be occupied trying to eat while I am gone. And then take a nap.

Remember, every tort is different so things that worked for some may not work for you. It's really a game of trial and error. Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.