Hatchling tortoise table for two Leopard torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So here is my table. I would love some advice before I finish it out. It is 30"x4' and 9.5" high. I was thinking of coir and sand as a substrate the two clear dishes will have live grass (any recommendations?), the concrete den is the humid one and the log is the dry. The far right will be the basking side and the left the cool. Should I use just mercury vapor or should I also run a t8 across the cool side? Any advise will be appreciated.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
Team Gomberg said:
no picture?

Ok so I switched to the computer. Fingers crossed for the photo to show!

Attachments

• random events.jpg
    random events.jpg
    751.3 KB · Views: 230

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Have you read any if the sulcata/leopard care sheets written by Tom or Neal? Sand and coir is fine as long as you can maintain a relative humidity of 50-60%, and a warm humid hide around 90-100% humidity. I would use both the strip light and a bulb for proper UVA, UVB. Temps shouldn't really drop below 80F, even on the cool end. The table looks nice! Is there enough room to hold both of your hatchlings? I would also suggest watching them closely for bullying and dominance. It is best to group them in three or more. All my humble opinion :)

Carolinapetsupply.com has a great stock of grass mixes to plant, you should check them out!

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
I have been able to read a few threads, maybe 5 of them so far. After reading one of Tom's threads I changed my mind on sand. Right now just planning on coir with some coco bark at the basking spot. Also I have moved my humid hide closer to the basking spot. It is a 30"x4' enclosure, I have no clue if it is big enough. That is why I'm looking for advise. :) As a scale the ceramic tortoise in the cement hide is 6.5" long. I have been using it as a stand in for the real thing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Coconut coir only is a good choice. Humidity should actually be 80% with temps no lower then 80. Basking 95-100 even can go little higher. Most leopards won't eat grass. However, clover and weeds would be a great choice. Grass when they are older. Using the mvb alone is your choice, you can add another type UVB if you want won't hurt for sure. A CHE or two will work good for night time heat. Be careful of the rock hide, leopards will dig into the coir some, make sure it can't fall on them. The size of the enclosure will work for a little while if you are getting hatchlings. Do be prepared to separate if bullying starts, however, leopards are one of the few torts that can get along, but not always. BTW, some of Toms threads are at the bottom of my post, incase you have read those ones yet.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Smart nice ruling against the sand. There are just so many potential problems it can cause besides low humidity and dryness. It can lead to impaction and it irritated the skin and eyes. Coco Coir is a great choice and my personal favorite. I've had excellent results with it.

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Texas
Wellington, you are the one who first showed me Tom's threads. And I thank you for it! I have read the ones you have listed and then more. Also thanks for the grass info! I want to plant some clumping grass to replicate a natural hide area while they are young, so knowing they will not eat it right away is great news! I will have to check out Carolinapetsupply.com for their seed mixes. The humid hide is glued together, so it can't fall. I'm so happy that I'm getting such great advise!

TortsRcrazy

5 Year Member
Help how do I get to Toms threads,

I have ordered two 4 yr old leopards and want to start them off the right way
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.