Hatchling vs. Baby vs. Adult - What determines this and how do I age my Hermanns tortoise?

Wolverina

Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
Hello!
I am super confused. I have been ALL over the internet and cannot for the life of me figure out how old my tortoise might be, and therefore, I'm having a hard time determining the right advice/care for my baby as far as how often to soak, how much/often to feed, etc.

I was told that Rosie was 6 months old, but she is 8.4 cm (SCL) and 125g (give or take - my scale seems a bit wonky) and I think she's older than that. Any thoughts as to age? I keep hearing that age doesn't matter, but how can I care for her if I don't know even what category she fits into?

Thank you for your help ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello!
I am super confused. I have been ALL over the internet and cannot for the life of me figure out how old my tortoise might be, and therefore, I'm having a hard time determining the right advice/care for my baby as far as how often to soak, how much/often to feed, etc.

I was told that Rosie was 6 months old, but she is 8.4 cm (SCL) and 125g (give or take - my scale seems a bit wonky) and I think she's older than that. Any thoughts as to age? I keep hearing that age doesn't matter, but how can I care for her if I don't know even what category she fits into?

Thank you for your help ?
Age doesn't matter because care is the same. Babies get soaked more often, and adults can tolerate colder night temps better, but not much different other than that.

Also, because they all grow at different rates and for a wide variety of reasons, you can't tell age by size. The only way to know the age is to know the hatch date. Age doesn't matter. Size matters to some degree. I soak babies every day until they reach 100 grams.

There isn't any scientific, universally accepted, etched in stone , list of names for ages, but generally:
Hatchling is less than 6 weeks. Still has egg tooth.
Baby would be the first year or so.
Yearling would be 12-24 months.
Then Juvenile.
Sub adult.
Adult.

Here is the most current care for your species;