Hatchling with internal parasites

kingskettle

5 Year Member
My two sulcata hatchlings are now two and a half months old now. They have been eating well and growing strongly. A few days ago I noticed the water in their drinking dish had a pinkish tinge to it. Concerned they may have internal parasites of some description, I took them along to the reptile vet I use. Luckily they had produced a sample for examination before we set off AND en route ! The diagnosis is that they have a fairly large concentration of amebiasis so have medication to take daily for two weeks. Hopefully this will rid them of their unwelcome load. They weigh 90 gms each

Attachments

• 3tort.png
    3tort.png
    558.5 KB · Views: 8
  • tort9.png
    tort9.png
    493.3 KB · Views: 7

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
What medication did they prescribe?

And I hope this fixes them up and things get back to normal! Such pretty babies:)

kingskettle

5 Year Member
What medication did they prescribe?

And I hope this fixes them up and things get back to normal! Such pretty babies:)

Thanks EllieMay. They haven't stopped eating and don't have diarrea so hopefully in time to prevent any major symptoms. The vet gave me a prescription to take to my pharmacy to have made up as the regular capsules of the medicine, Paromomicina, are too big a dose for the hatchlings. They are to have 0.01 of an ml every day for 2 weeks then another fecal check to see if the parasites have gone.