hatchlings and prickly pear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
my hatchlings dont really seem to be interested in eating prickly pear. i bought a bunch and diced it up finely for them but they just eat around it.
is this something my DTs will grow into or did i get a picky pair?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am betting they are just being picky and will start eating it in the near future. I think just about everybody here likes it, except for the Homes hingebacks. Just like us humans, some are just more adventurous in trying out new things. I think some of that also comes with age and having a variety of foods under their belt.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
My hatchling Leopard wont touch it either, little turdhead. lol I always cut him up some when I give it to anyone else and he eats around it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I just tried giving some to my new foster babies. I had three that attacked it as if they were starving. One just ate around it smelled it and turned from it and ate his dandelion. I figured just picky or like kids one has to be different. I just moved them to a different habitat. One with dirt and a hide to climb on they love it. I watched and laughed as they explored every inch smelling and tasting everything. What a joy they are.

drummerkid1993

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
just keep trying to feed it, maybe wrap it in some of their favourite weeds.

Prickly Pear is a great source of fibre.

where did you buy it from?

LeopardLover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah, I would keep trying too. My leopards both LOVE it. And I buy mine at safeway for 99 cents a pad.:p

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i got a bag full from a mexican market for a couple dollars. i froze the remainder and i tried serving it thawed but they still didnt eat it

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
If it is a staple (or should be) could you finely grate it and mix it in a bit at a time.

A bit off topic, but we got our beardie to eat vegies by adiing barely a bit to his worm bowl...he couldn't avoid it and now he'll eat a salad or two withour worm croutons:D

Status
Not open for further replies.