Hatchlings eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
It up this morning and one of my sulcatas his eyes where shut and he would not open them like it could not. Don't know what to do for him his eyelids seem a white

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Try misting with some lukewarm water. What kind of bulb are you using? I know some of the coil type flourescent bulbs can be hard on young ones' eyes.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
A little terramycin ointment, or even a little vaseline will help the lids from sticking together.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
A warm water soak may help as well.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What is your diet for the hatchling? What type and wattage of lighting are you using, and at what distance and duration of time is it on? Do you soak your hatchling every day in warm water?

I would want you to find out what is causing that issue so that you can tweak what you need to fix a shortcoming somewhere...

But for now you need to get those little eyes open...as suggested a warm water soak is good (and make sure that you also gently let the warm water pour over the babies eyes while you are filling the soaker) also, you can steam em in the bathroom to allow the eyes to moisten and open...the key is to get those eyes open..

I also would suggest doing a few days of baby food (carrot, sweet potato soaks)...1 jar or half a jar for smaller soakers with warm water...soak that baby for about half an hour in that mix...

May we see a pic of your babies face please :D

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
image-517334681.png

image-7.jpegimage-6.jpegi have tried every thing and still nothing. he started to get one eye open and then it is closed again

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've got a sick baby there. We need more info if we are to help you.

What are your four temps?

How often do you soak?

Are you using a coil type fluorescent bulb?

What substrate are you using?

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I soak ever day incondect het light for day time light keeping him on Cyprus mulch at 85. And about 70% humidity

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is the whole enclosure 85 all the time? Is there not a gradient? Or a basking spot?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Can you describe the tortoises diet? Are you providing supplementation?

This can happen with certain dietary deficiencies.

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I drop to 70-74. Been feeding romain letus

Sorry was not finished hit the wrong button. Romain lettus kale and letting them grass in the yard

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
How is your little one now? Did you try soaking again or placing outside in the grass during the daylight and seeing if he/she will open her eyes?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Can you post a picture of your enclosure set up. I think that you need to up the night time temp to about 85* with 70% humidity. Do you keep the two torts together? You may want to separate them until this one starts to show improvement. You don't want them both to get sick.

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I dot him out side and he was active and eating grass in the yard. He opened he eyes some. One eye had some white stuff in it and the other would not come all the way open. I changed the lighting and I removes the substrate. And just used paper towels. And I ordered some terramycin eye ointment that will be here tomorrow. I have been soaking and misting and trying to help him with his eyes

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks for the update:) Glad your lil one is eating. Keep us updated after you use the drops:)

usmcgriff

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Update. His eyes came open today with a soak and some eye drops and he is active and eating

Status
Not open for further replies.