Hatchlings & shell rot? :(

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I have three hatchlings (three toed), one I purchased and the other two are my adult females babies. They may be mixed, I don't know who the father is...

Anyways, I have tried everything but their shells have these dry spots on them. I read the blog about how to treat shell rot, if that's what this is.... I scrubbed them gently with a soft tooth brush, and I have been putting diluted iodine on them. But today is the first day I've tried the tooth brush scrub.

Any suggestions? Is this shell rot? The other baby living with them isn't having any troubles.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1384397042.117055.jpg

The bump on his shell near his head is just dirt.

They have a heat emitter and UVB lamp, pill bugs, eating well, very active..

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Possibly a fungus. This bump should get someone on here with more experience with fungus and shell rot. Hope all goes well. Cute little bugger.

abclements

5 Year Member
Have you tried anti fungal cream? Any athletes foot creme should cure that up in a couple if days. If the anti fungal cream shows no improvement after a few days, switch to an anti bacterial like neosporin.

There are 2 types of shell rot, fungal and bacterial. That's why the neosporin should work If the anti fungal doesn't.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Thank you both! Is the anti-fungal and anti-biotics made for humans too strong to use on a hatchling?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Mine get that every now and then. It sounds silly, but it seems that they get it when the tank is too wet and they stay underground to long. I keep the tank wet but if it goes too long between sightings I will dig them up and bath and feed them. Mine clear right up with just a little scrub with a soft toothbrush (just gently brush it, do not force it), a nice warm soak (I let them swim in a warm sink deep enough for them to swim around completly under the water if they want to) and a forced hour under the heat lamp which I make more tolerable for them by putting them in a tupperware dish with a bunch of crawly food items and I stay with them or check on them every five - ten minutes. The one I have that had it this past week is completly healed up and gone.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
That's a relief, I was really beginning to worry about them. I do the exact same thing with their disks in the sink!

Yesterday was my first day to use the soft tooth brush, and when the dried I could still see it :/ I will keep an eye on them.

My other one that doesn't have it, is out more than the two babies because he's a little older. But they are becoming more brave and less startled.

Notice all the spots? Is this common for three toed or do you think maybe integrade? My other three toed not related to them does not have spots like them!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Mine are all different. I have some that are going to look just like an ornate and others that look like pure three toed and then still others that look like they have light spots, almost like they have some Gulf Coast in them. The thing is, there were, at the time of these being laid, only 2 male three toed and two females, 1 ornate and 1 three toed.

You will still see some shell rot on there. Do not try and scrub it off. If it comes off then it comes off but don't push it. It will clear up. This is fairly common with box turtles. If you look at the adult animals you may see what looks like small pock marks all over them. That is what it is from. My little one that had some last week has already cleared up. Just dig him up every day, drop him in the sink and then give him a good warm time out in a tub so he can't run away and hide. I put a log under my light and build a ramp up to it because they seem to like climbing on the log and getting closer to the light. Of course, I have to turn it down now when I am not home, but I often catch my little ones on top of the log when I go check on them so they are not trying to hide so much anymore.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I had to use the athlete's foot cream on a boxie shell once for a fungal infection. Worked great!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
lisa127 said:
I had to use the athlete's foot cream on a boxie shell once for a fungal infection. Worked great!

How old was the boxie Lisa? I had a breeder tell me that the little ones should not have that used on them? I have never had to use anything on the babies but warm basking and warm soaks.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He was not an adult, but he was pretty good sized. I'd say more than 3 inches SCL at the time. Maybe even 4 inches.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Update on mine, they are doing SO much better. I followed Saleama's instructions and all is well. They still get a dry patch every now and again, but it usually resolves itself within a day or two. Thanks so much everyone!