Hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
I received my two hatchling leopards yesterday. I have them in a wrapping paper box. There is sand in 1/3 and bermuda grass in the rest, with a small box. I have a 100w light on the sand side and use the night light on the other side. It has been 88-92 degrees in the sand and 72- 80 on the other end. I bought then kale, spinach,dandelions and other dark greens. They eat, but not much. Seem to sleep a lot on the cool end under the grass. I need to remove them to get them to eat. They do like the water. Is this normal for hatchling to be sleeping a lot? Are the temps,OK ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a big fan of using sand for substrate. There's just too much of a chance they might eat some and it will block them up. Also, the grass is a little on the dry side. I like to use cypress mulch or orchid bark. If you can find orchid bark in the "fine" grade, its ideal for babies. You can moisten it, then the lights quickly dry out the top layer, but it stays moist underneath. The humidity and moisture help to grow them smooth and not pyramided.

Your temps are ok, but is it like around 110 or so directly under the light? It should be like that.

Chop up the greens in small pieces, and add bits of grass and weeds, also chopped up then mix it all together.

Babies are prey so they tend to stay hidden quite a bit. Also, just like human babies, they sleep a lot. Some folks leave them alone, but I get them up every morning and place them in front of the food. Then later in the day, I'll get them out again and place them in front of the food. When they get used to the routine, they will eventually come out on their own to eat.

Pictures? We LOVE pictures!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they need to be soaked, even if they dont like it much. be sure the water is warm, not cold or hot.. and shallow. If you just got them, they need to adjust to thier new home. Start reading all you can. lots here.
What is a 'wrapping paper box'? plastic tote?
give them several hides, they wont eat the grass, so you can remove that or leave it.. they need a substrate that is easy for them to walk on and not slip.
Happy reading! WElcome and Enjoy!

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC
emysemys said:
I'm not a big fan of using sand for substrate. There's just too much of a chance they might eat some and it will block them up. Also, the grass is a little on the dry side. I like to use cypress mulch or orchid bark. If you can find orchid bark in the "fine" grade, its ideal for babies. You can moisten it, then the lights quickly dry out the top layer, but it stays moist underneath. The humidity and moisture help to grow them smooth and not pyramided.

Your temps are ok, but is it like around 110 or so directly under the light? It should be like that.

Chop up the greens in small pieces, and add bits of grass and weeds, also chopped up then mix it all together.

Babies are prey so they tend to stay hidden quite a bit. Also, just like human babies, they sleep a lot. Some folks leave them alone, but I get them up every morning and place them in front of the food. Then later in the day, I'll get them out again and place them in front of the food. When they get used to the routine, they will eventually come out on their own to eat.

Pictures? We LOVE pictures!!

I will try the cypress mulch next. I placed them in front of the food and they both ate some (two bites) cactus and kale. They then walked off to the cool end under the bermuda grass. It is 75 degrees there. The other end is sand and the temp. is 95 I will look to get pic`s soon.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Congrats on your new friends.
Let the addiction begin.:)

You've gotten some great advice so far, browse
through the forum since there is a wealth
of info here.

Can't wait to see pics of your babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.