Hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie

5 Year Member
I am 80% sure I'm going to get another RT (a hatchling), and i will give him or her its own enclosure of course. But was wondering when are they ready to left alone outside for the day? My current is, by my estimation, 4-5 years old and WC. Because of that one fact I know he will NEVER have the chance to meet the new little one. I know my current is ok to be outdoors for the day. But where is the cut off? Thanks in advance. :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would imagine if you make an enclosure that if predator proof (floor/sides/top all sealed in), well planted and plenty of substrate to dig down into then your little one will be good to go out for warm day hours...also, the enclosure would not need to be large for a little one...:D

Of course, wait around for the others to offer their information toooooo :p

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Jessie said:
I am 80% sure I'm going to get another RT (a hatchling), and i will give him or her its own enclosure of course. But was wondering when are they ready to left alone outside for the day? My current is, by my estimation, 4-5 years old and WC. Because of that one fact I know he will NEVER have the chance to meet the new little one. I know my current is ok to be outdoors for the day. But where is the cut off? Thanks in advance. :)
A baby Russian tortoise will do just fine outdoors all day (and night) as long as it has a secure enclosure that is escape proof and temperatures are at normal actiivty levels.
There is also no reason at all that once your future captive born baby is big enough that it cannot be kept with your wild caught Russian tortoise. At that point any quarantine period will have long since been expired.
There is no "cut off". Babies in the wild (and those captive born outside) are born outdoors and do absolutely fine as long as they have the survival requirements that they need.

Jessie

5 Year Member
Oh hey thanks. I just assumed that a WC and a CB couldn't be together but that's interesting that they can once they are the same size.
And yay I'm so glad hatchlings are ok outside right away cuz I'm just so excited to take the current out I can't imagine the excitement of taking a hatchling outside for the first time EVER! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.