ToryTort

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool:Merseyside
Hello

Last week I purchased a 100 watt Zoo med power sun MVB. I swapped my old Arcadia bulb “6 months old” for the power sun bulb, it worked for less than 24hours then it blew.
I sent it back after taking photographs and I received the replacement today, The elements on my replacement look scorched etc.
I seen a post saying you can check how much uvb a bulb is giving out by putting a piece of white paper under the bulb and taking a photograph then seeing how much of a blue hew it gives off.
I know this isn’t accurate but when I put my old bulb above the paper I could clearly see the blue light, I then put my new bulb under it and it is completely white.
I then videoed it and lots of lines were swirling past like a broken tv.
My question is is the second picture normal as in should it be showing blue light
Could the bulb be used or fake, I ordered it from swell reptiles in the uk.
I’ve emailed them, as of yet I’ve had no reply.
If anybody has the same bulb could you please see if your bulb gives of a different reflection as I don’t feel comfortable using it for him.
I’ve emailed zoo med previously regarding the bulb blowing, they were great and asked me to send the photographs to see if the can tell if it is genuine.

3F38B0EE-10BB-44F8-BBE2-F64621124D57.jpeg38CAD0D9-C728-4DEB-91DB-DAD8DC4B3F18.jpeg

ToryTort

This was the bulb when I got it out, should the elements be scorched like that. Also it has scratches or hairline cracks

DD0C49EE-7763-4DE5-97B9-548034727B7D.jpegA6F84D39-89EA-41FB-A2E4-A3EA07210BB1.jpeg5DED2C82-349F-4DC9-9D00-A995106BF4B1.jpeg3E1F51BC-0738-4921-B26A-86B47CBE7F03.jpegC4B660B1-4E18-4EE8-BC26-32AD009A6133.jpeg

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
The best way to check the uvb output of any bulb is to use a uvb meter. The Solarmeter model 6.5 is a good meter, I've used one for a few years now on new as well as old mvb bulbs. The results are disappointing I'm afraid, as I have found mvb bulbs, new out of the box, that dont produce any uvb. Some mvb bulbs will produce uvb for for 6 months, others for a year or more. I think the poor results from newly purchased bulbs are a combination of production flaws, rough transportation and distribution, and sadly fellow hobbyists. I have heard people brag about using an mvb until it stops producing uvb and then returning it to the store for a refund or exchange. It still produces light so it goes back on the shelf and is purchased again by someone else.
I am transitioning from mvb to fluorescent lights supplemented with ceramic heat emitters because the fluorescent lights are so much more dependable and long lasting. I have been monitoring one for 18 months and it's still producing uvb. There is additional expense in buying fixtures for the fluorescent bulbs as I go, but the good news is I can use the existing mvb fixtures for the che's.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It looks like you got a used bulb in a new box.
MANY times at pet stores, Ive found old, damaged or burned out bulbs and tubes that some SOB slid into the new bulb package and bought back for a refund. It's why many stores do not give returns on such bulbs and tubes.
Those MVB are a pretty lousy choice anyway. They are not at all consistent one to the next. Either generating too little or far too much UVB.
Get yourself a T5 HO strip UVB for UVB and light. And a CHE for heat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The best way to check the uvb output of any bulb is to use a uvb meter. The Solarmeter model 6.5 is a good meter, I've used one for a few years now on new as well as old mvb bulbs. The results are disappointing I'm afraid, as I have found mvb bulbs, new out of the box, that dont produce any uvb. Some mvb bulbs will produce uvb for for 6 months, others for a year or more. I think the poor results from newly purchased bulbs are a combination of production flaws, rough transportation and distribution, and sadly fellow hobbyists. I have heard people brag about using an mvb until it stops producing uvb and then returning it to the store for a refund or exchange. It still produces light so it goes back on the shelf and is purchased again by someone else.
I am transitioning from mvb to fluorescent lights supplemented with ceramic heat emitters because the fluorescent lights are so much more dependable and long lasting. I have been monitoring one for 18 months and it's still producing uvb. There is additional expense in buying fixtures for the fluorescent bulbs as I go, but the good news is I can use the existing mvb fixtures for the che's.
I should've read this first...

ToryTort

It looks like you got a used bulb in a new box.
MANY times at pet stores, Ive found old, damaged or burned out bulbs and tubes that some SOB slid into the new bulb package and bought back for a refund. It's why many stores do not give returns on such bulbs and tubes.
Those MVB are a pretty lousy choice anyway. They are not at all consistent one to the next. Either generating too little or far too much UVB.
Get yourself a T5 HO strip UVB for UVB and light. And a CHE for heat.
Thanks I will look into the bulbs you mentioned. What makes you think it’s used, the photo of the white paper or the scorch marks on the bulb.
Thanks