Have you ever seen a blue faced box turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
Hi all,

I have a friend that was excited to show me her new box turtle Taylor. She seems to be taking great care of him and truly loves the ground he walks on. He is in a large warm, humid home with a a good varied diet and an outside pen to soak up our Oregon sun when it comes out. When you see the picture do note that his beak is too long, and I have let her know that, and she will be trimming it.
My question really is:
Why is his head so blue? I have never seen it before. Is it just unique coloring? Is something wrong? He seems healthy and very active. She also tells me half of his tongue is blue.

Also, he has some weird issue on the top of his head. Anyone know what that is? and does it need any special care?

Thanks for all your help! I will be passing this info on to her.

052012133305.jpg

051112165816.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Most male ornate box turtles have green heads, which are sometimes a little dull and appear blue like this one.

I can't make out the head very well, it looks a little indented and probably a little dry. Could you give us a better photo of the top of the head?

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
KimandKarasi said:
Did she paint his fingernails???

Yea... I am not really for that, at all. I agree.... I warned her that people would not like that at all. I made her PROMISE me she would never paint his shell! She said she absolutely would NOT!
So, I am trying really hard to look the other way about the nails being painted. I worry more about the fumes when she takes it off. Unless maybe she buffs it off. Not sure? not thrilled about that..

Neal said:
Most male ornate box turtles have green heads, which are sometimes a little dull and appear blue like this one.

I can't make out the head very well, it looks a little indented and probably a little dry. Could you give us a better photo of the top of the head?

Neal, I don't have a better head picture than that. You described it well. kind of concave a bit and dry, with a uneven texture. She has now had him for maybe 6 months, and he is healthy. I wondered if he was kept in a super dry, hot climate and not humid like he needs. If that did that to his head, is there any way to make it better?

KimandKarasi

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
foxboysracing said:
Yea... I am not really for that, at all. I agree.... I warned her that people would not like that at all. I made her PROMISE me she would never paint his shell! She said she absolutely would NOT!
So, I am trying really hard to look the other way about the nails being painted. I worry more about the fumes when she takes it off. Unless maybe she buffs it off. Not sure? not thrilled about that..

I'm glad you're smart about it, but it is bad for the poor guy. :( Besides the harmfulness of the fumes when she puts it ON or takes it off, he may see his nails as a snack and eat some of the paint off at some point, so try for his sake to tell this girl tortoises are not cosmetic toys... :(

foxboysracing said:
Neal, I don't have a better head picture than that. You described it well. kind of concave a bit and dry, with a uneven texture. She has now had him for maybe 6 months, and he is healthy. I wondered if he was kept in a super dry, hot climate and not humid like he needs. If that did that to his head, is there any way to make it better?

And do you know if she soaks him? Humidity just might be the issue for that

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
foxboysracing said:

The dry look is definitely from being kept in a dry and hot environment...I don't know what might have cause the concavity...but either way, frequent soakings and a slightly more humid environment will be good overall for the turtle.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Other than a beak trim needed, his head color is very normal. It is rare, but in the normal range. Many ornates have green heads, but the blue head is far less common. I've never seen one that blue. It is a desirable look as far as ornates go.

He should be bred.

Very nice individual!

Steve

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
I dont know of anyone around here who has an ornate. She DOES really want him to have babies. I have easterns, three toes, and a gulf coast( who is a rescue and I would NOT breed her). Those would all be mixes. I wish I knew someone here who has an ornate female. She has been looking. Anyone? Scott?

Thanks!

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Thanks Neal. I will ask her to look at this whole post. I asked her to come to this site. She has, but hadn't signed up, so that's why I asked the question. Maybe this will all be good info for her. =)

I could let him "visit" my girls but I am not sure that's a good idea either. =(

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Dawn, i have the one female OBT who has not been bred since i took her in, she may be ready for a breeding PM me if youd like to get together, i could perhaps put her out on loan? then rear the eggs here after she laid. Let me know. ALTHOUGH i would not want ANY finger nail paint on my girl! ;O lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have only one question? How on earth did she get him to hold his little feet still for his custom nail job?? lol....

Oh wait, one more question---are the back nails painted too....that is talent....although I would not have done this, I am not going to slam her---especially since you already shared a bit of proper care and hopefully she will just let the polish wear off (all of gals know that it will eventually wear off, so no need to expose him to acetone to remove the polish--that I think would be even worse than the initial polish party :D)

I do not have any of this species, however, he is FANTASTIC and very handsome.....;)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
wow...he is pretty with his blue head...but yeah gonna catch alot of flack about her painting the nails.....I have a female ornate as well ..just like Scott...we too can work out a breeding situation if she would like....

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Thanks all. I texted her and asked her to look at all the posts. Scott you would be nice and close for her. She is a great young woman and is responsive and I am positive would not paint Miss Stinky's nails if you asked her not to. When I worked as a career counselor at the local high school several years ago she was one of my seniors. She is great! She is completely and utterly in love with turtles now after getting Taylor. A new turtle freak in the making... :D
And about the polish....yes, I talked to her about the fumes, and yes, I warned her that people might be brutally honest here.
Her mom does nails and so maybe she has mad polishing skills. Taylor is also handled TONS like my turtles. He is VERY comfortable with her and has no issues letting her do whatever she wants with him. I have several like that too. In fact, I have a 1200 pound horse who is the same way. ugh... he thinks he is a huge lap dog. I will go lay down in our field and he will act like he really just wants to lay on top of me, rather than next to me. ugh... a little scary.. but he is such a warm pillow in the sun for a nap on a hot day. And he smells so darn good too. lol

OK Dawn, back on topic... ugh... I will talk to her more today. Thanks to everyone for your help. I had never seen a blue headed ornate before. I was kind of taken aback at first. He is a very handsome guy.
Have a wonderful sunny day all. I have to go to work now. =(

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
He must have been kept in desert conditions because obt are often found in semi xeric conditions in the wild. The dune areas of the plains states for example. Any way what part of Oregon if in the western area make sure he isn't to humid the the eastern side of the state may require supplemental watering for humidity purposes.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Doesn't SupremelySteve have a blue box turtle? or are we talking 2 differant spieces of Boxies? (Eastern/Ornate) If so.... whats the Differance?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Zamric said:
Doesn't SupremelySteve have a blue box turtle? or are we talking 2 differant spieces of Boxies? (Eastern/Ornate) If so.... whats the Differance?

Different species.
Blue skin is documented best in the Gulf Coast subspecies of T. carolina
It is also frequently found in the Mexican subspecies of T. carolina
It is known from Florida box turtles, a subspecies of T. carolina
It is known from the Eastern subspecies of T. carolina (Easterns seem to have more color versatility and are more flamboyant in color expression than the other subspecies and species.

Western box turtles, T. ornata, of which ornates are a subspecies, also show shades of green and occasionally blue as well.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
supremelysteve said:
Zamric said:

Different species.
Blue skin is documented best in the Gulf Coast subspecies of T. carolina
It is also frequently found in the Mexican subspecies of T. carolina
It is known from Florida box turtles, a subspecies of T. carolina
It is known from the Eastern subspecies of T. carolina (Easterns seem to have more color versatility and are more flamboyant in color expression than the other subspecies and species.

Western box turtles, T. ornata, of which ornates are a subspecies, also show shades of green and occasionally blue as well.

I just LOVE this Site! Education is what it is all about!

Thanks Steve!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.