having a Greek or Herman tortoise as a friend for a RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbles1

5 Year Member
Hi-I know it is not good to mix species but I was wondering if a female Greek or Herman tort could be a friend to my female Rt in the same enclosure. I would like to put one of them together in the same enclosure with my female Rt because a Greek or Herman habitats are so similiar. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Very bad idea. Some species have such different parasites that they can kill a tort of another species. If torts wouldn't encounter each other in the wild, you shouldn't house them together. Do a forum search on mixing species to educate yourself. It doesn't matter that their care is similar. I wouldn't even recommend putting another Russian in there actually. Torts are solitary species, coming together only to mate. They aren't friends like humans are. We think torts would like a friend, but it really only makes us feel better, not the torts. Male is likely to harass female, two males might be territorial, and even two females might not get along. When combining torts of the same species after quarantine and fecal tests for parasites, plan for separate enclosures and best case scenario you can house them together if there is enough space, hides for each tort, etc.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Don't do it! I am not going to say that it might not be OK, but odds are way far against you. "New" world with same and "old" world with same is usually not a problem. Just stick with that would be my recommendation. Best wishes Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.