Having a hard time sexing my Hermann’s Tortoise

Grace-Sophia

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
054EDE96-A4DA-46C4-80A3-A25627191A60.jpeg
Hello guys, I am a new registerer, I have used the forum here for many of my questions about my tortoises but one of them in particular is making me stumped, I purchased this little one ( around 1 and 1/2 years of age) back in December I was told it was a female but her tail seems to be getting longer and thicker as compared to her sister and clutch mate. She has also shown a little bit of mating behavior like mounting, mouth opening, and chasing. So I am truly stumped, I emailed the place back again and they still said female but I have a feeling she is a boy lol! So if there is any way anyone could help me it would be very much appreciated! If male I need to separate if that would be best!

TisMary

New York
This might help. Couldn't post the link (⁉) , but you can google this. Hermann's-specific posts included. Good luck!

Shelled Warriors.PNG

Reactions: Ink

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Still a little small, but I would lean towards male. In addition to the tail, the supracaudal scute (right above the tail) is starting to curve inward, which is typical in male Hermanni.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
If you can may you please invite others to this thread? I wouldn’t really appreciate all the help I can get!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
How much does this tortoise weigh? You may not be able to tell until it weighs in the 400 g range.

Are you keeping two in the same enclosure? This is not recommended. The mounting behavior you're seeing doesn't necessarily have anything to do with mating. Rather, it's a bullying/dominance thing that can even happen with females. If you have them together, you need to get a second setup and separate them.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
I am not sure how much she weighs. I haven’t scheduled a appointment with her vet yet. They are in the same enclosure, I belive they have been together their whole lives, they are clutch mates.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
That Is one of the reasons why I need to figure out male or female so that
I can separate if needed.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Unfortunately, it does not matter if they are the same sex, different sex, clutch mates etc. Tortoises don't do well in pairs. They're solitary animals and very territorial. The signs of bullying are not outward. Being housed in pairs stresses both out. One often is smaller in size due to stress or competition for food. Single tortoises don't get lonely or need a friend.

TisMary

New York
I am not sure how much she weighs. I haven’t scheduled a appointment with her vet yet.

I bought a WeighMax postal scale a few years back. It's very handy! You can put a box on it, zero out the weight of the box, put your critter in the box, and whatever it reads is how much your little one weighs. Works on everything but our lab - only goes to 75 lbs! ?

Looks like this (its an old model - you'd have to do a little googlin')

1615571453498.png

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Hi Grace,

I got your message and your Hermann’s is looking to be a young male.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Thank you so very much, I really appreciate it, I will definitely make arrangements to separate from my female, I scedualed a appointment with his vet I will be sure to tell y’all what she says.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The minimum recommended size for one young adult is 4 x 8 feet but the bigger the better.
Why do you need a vet appointment?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Would a 3 by 2 foot be big enough for him?
I agree with @Lyn W 3 feet x 2 feet is just too small. My Hermann’s tortoise is 1 year old and is in an enclosure that is about 7 feet by 4 feet and he uses every inch of it. If I were you, I’d go bigger now so you aren’t looking to rebuild new enclosures in 6 months.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Okay thank you, I scheduled an appointment with his vet just to be sure the gender:)