having a issue with a hatchling losing weight... look at measurements please

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
Tempi is eating like a little pig, nice stool and very active.
She is always basking, gets a lot of outside time and i have cut back on the soaks, it hasnt been daily, but at least 3 times a week.
misting and she is always in her water bowl.

But she is losing weight

She is in the same environment of my others..

mostly outside but when she is inside, she sleeps on a small under the tank heater pad, its temp is around 80
they are in the kitchen and there basking spot is high 80's.

I was thinking it was higher but i changed the reflector and I wonder if it made a difference.

They have another heat stone, custom made, it has a large reptile heater on it and it makes it in the 80's...

leopardspreedsheet.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Does she seem to be going through a growth spurt at all? If she is being super active also, she could just be burning more calories...

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Queen ~

Well, has she been checked for internal worms? I know she is with others who are not losing weight, but perhaps in an outdoor excursion, she came across some kind of buglie which is taking her nutrients from her? That, of course, is only my humble guess.

I'd be worried if it were me & a trip to the vet would be in order ~ Hopefully someone will come up with as good answer for you!!

Blessings & keep us posted, Purpod

You know, the funny part was when I saw the post, I was going to direct them to you! :cool: Again, blessings ~

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I will check her for worms.

I am not sure if thats it or not, but it never hurts..

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Are you sure the scales are right Terra. With only being a month older than BB I wouldn't expect a weight difference of that much (25.3g). With the weights of the other 2 I'd figure she should be around 75 to 79g mark. So yes she has lost some weight, but like Kristina said it could be a growth spurt. It's always best to keep track of length as well as weight, which gives a more accurate idea of whats going on.

Danny

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
i have lengths as well, let me post them....

i will also post temps with pictures... hang on, let me do some photo shopping tricks here

penwithtemps.jpg

leoinfo.jpg

of course i can always email the spread sheet if you cant read this one, when i need to show all the info, i cant seem to make it as big...

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
Just as an FYI, assuming you're using an mercury vapor bulb, @ 20" above the substrate, I really doubt much UVB is making it to surface. Perhaps switch to a lower wattage bulb that will allow it to be closer to the substrate?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
She is bigger than the other 2 so yes your weights were right :D I would say though that she is at least a month older than that birthdate.
She hasn't been growing either, so I'd have to put it down to the stress of being with the other 2. For some reason she isn't liking being with the other 2 and is constantly trying to get away from them (being very active). The stress and the activity will use up all the calories she is taking in, so no calories left to gain weight or do any growing. Actually she's using more calories than she is taking in as evidenced by the weight loss.
I'd say to set her up on her own and see how she does.

Danny

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I will do Danny, Thank you.

Richard, i dont do uvb since they get out all the time..

I will separate her.. thanks

egyptiandan said:
She is bigger than the other 2 so yes your weights were right :D I would say though that she is at least a month older than that birthdate.
She hasn't been growing either, so I'd have to put it down to the stress of being with the other 2. For some reason she isn't liking being with the other 2 and is constantly trying to get away from them (being very active). The stress and the activity will use up all the calories she is taking in, so no calories left to gain weight or do any growing. Actually she's using more calories than she is taking in as evidenced by the weight loss.
I'd say to set her up on her own and see how she does.

Danny

So what should i move her Bday to?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
egyptiandan said:
Pick a date in October :D

Danny

Can do....

RichardS said:
Just as an FYI, assuming you're using an mercury vapor bulb, @ 20" above the substrate, I really doubt much UVB is making it to surface. Perhaps switch to a lower wattage bulb that will allow it to be closer to the substrate?

i am using a 100 watt uva bulb.... I am really happy with it and there temps.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
egyptiandan said:

Danny

I thought Temperance was the leopard mix you have? As in a P. Pardalis and a Babcocki mix, which would make her growing/size not comparable to the other two?

Or was that thrown out and she is only a Babcocki?

Yours seem to weigh much more than my Thor though (I'll post my chart, on a WordPad though as I have no excel).

From the only growth chart out there, Babcocki weigh about 70-80 at 1 year old. Which just so happens that's what my Thor weighed at about a year.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Seiryu said:
egyptiandan said:

Danny

I thought Temperance was the leopard mix you have? As in a P. Pardalis and a Babcocki mix, which would make her growing/size not comparable to the other two?

Or was that thrown out and she is only a Babcocki?

Yours seem to weigh much more than my Thor though (I'll post my chart, on a WordPad though as I have no excel).

From the only growth chart out there, Babcocki weigh about 70-80 at 1 year old. Which just so happens that's what my Thor weighed at about a year.

She is a mix, maybe i should mention that to Danny... I always forget that.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Honestly, it looks like the other two have caught up to her size wise, and because of that, she's getting lower on the totem pole competing for food---yes, competing. When you have three babies in that small of a space, you are going to have a pecking order. They don't know that food is unlimited, so what they get, they are gonna hoard, trying to get more than the others.

In the wild, only those with the best, and most resources survive.

I would recommend that you split them up, or triple the size of that enclosure. I have that exact same bin, and I could not imagine keeping three big leo babies in it. One teeny Greek kid was enough, and I worried about her getting enough exercise.

There are not enough hides and sight breaks in there. Everyone thinks because they are babies, they display different behavior from adult tortoises. But that is not true. The eat the same, poop the same, and bully each other as babies the same as they do as adults while competing for resources.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Meg I moved her, also they spend outside all day when its warm, so this is a night enclosure really. But i did move Tempi to a much larger area... the other two are still together for now.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
So Tempi is on a much larger area now. She is not eating but i would expect that for a couple days, since i moved her....

I can tell you she isnt trying to escape like she used to do...

What do you think about outside, can they all hang out in the "pool" together?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Ok, so i weighed her today and she is at 84 grams

up 20 in a week?

So i think she is gaining weight and needs to poop! i soaked her for 20 mins but nothing...

she is grubbing down on cactus right now

Status
Not open for further replies.