Having more than one Cherryhead or Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Candy: Wild Red-foot habitat includes a lot of places that are not rainforest. Even in Venezuela, they are generally found at least as often on the grassy savannahs as in the deep forest. Southern Red-foots and Red-foots from Eastern Brazil live in places that are generally a lot drier and have more variable temperatures than the rain forest does (even in these areas, they are generally found in the greener areas).

They seem perfectly willing to exploit more open areas, from natural openings to natural savannahs, to places opened up by agriculture. This sort of feeds into the debate of what sort of habitat they prefer- rainforest or edge. When you look at range maps, you see that the Red-foot's habitat sort of 'circles' the Yellow-foot habitat- the deeper we go into the rainforest, the more Yellow-foots you seem to find.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Madkins007 said:
Candy: Wild Red-foot habitat includes a lot of places that are not rainforest. Even in Venezuela, they are generally found at least as often on the grassy savannahs as in the deep forest. Southern Red-foots and Red-foots from Eastern Brazil live in places that are generally a lot drier and have more variable temperatures than the rain forest does (even in these areas, they are generally found in the greener areas).

They seem perfectly willing to exploit more open areas, from natural openings to natural savannahs, to places opened up by agriculture. This sort of feeds into the debate of what sort of habitat they prefer- rainforest or edge. When you look at range maps, you see that the Red-foot's habitat sort of 'circles' the Yellow-foot habitat- the deeper we go into the rainforest, the more Yellow-foots you seem to find.

So have you found whether or not the older ones need that much humidity? Or is it just the younger ones?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Candy,

We got ours from a local plant show in south Florida. Every now and then, Home Depot has them. Our tree seems to be easy to grow, they like alot of sun. Good luck!

Allegra

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Madkins007 said:

Where did you find this info Mark? Let's give credit where credit is due.

I wonder who started the idea that redfoots live IN the rainforest in the first place? It is the yellowfoots that live IN the forest.. according to friends from Venezuela. Look at the size difference of the yellowfoot and redfoot. I'm talking NORTH of the Amazon now.

Let's also be practical for everyone's sake.. and not start talking extremes and exceptions - which just makes things more confusing than some choose to make them.

Terry K

Candy said:
Madkins007 said:

So have you found whether or not the older ones need that much humidity? Or is it just the younger ones?

Candy my observations indicate that younger ones tend to "hide" more.. which leads me to believe that that means they 'naturally' acquire the needed "humid-hide" which gets and keeps the carapace growing as it should!

During summer months I do choose to run the sprinkler system at least every other day to keep the outdoor enclosures [ 6" and larger - Northerns and Brazilians ] with several "puddles" which the adults also seem to enjoy..

MuddySon.jpg

You've heard the term "Muddy-torts"?

So given the opportunity ALL ages enjoy the humidity!

Terry K

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Lets check out some of the TT yahoo groups archives... That was just me trying to be argumentative.

It even took you until not too long ago to accept this description.

As to humid hides... look that one up also... another once argumentative point.

Redfoot NERD said:
Madkins007 said:

I wonder who started the idea that redfoots live IN the rainforest in the first place? It is the yellowfoots that live IN the forest.. according to friends from Venezuela. Look at the size difference of the yellowfoot and redfoot. I'm talking NORTH of the Amazon now.

Let's also be practical for everyone's sake.. and not start talking extremes and exceptions - which just makes things more confusing than some choose to make them.

Terry K

Candy said:
Madkins007 said:

Candy my observations indicate that younger ones tend to "hide" more.. which leads me to believe that that means they 'naturally' acquire the needed "humid-hide" which gets and keeps the carapace growing as it should!

During summer months I do choose to run the sprinkler system at least every other day to keep the outdoor enclosures [ 6" and larger - Northerns and Brazilians ] with several "puddles" which the adults also seem to enjoy..

MuddySon.jpg

You've heard the term "Muddy-torts"?

So given the opportunity ALL ages enjoy the humidity!

Terry K

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
It might seem that way as expressed by the more zelous members... Terryo... the one from the UK... I'll remember that one.

terryo said:
TT Yahoo groups.....their way or the wrong way. Pleaseeeeeeeeeee!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
There are some very nice people over there Ed, but there is one or two that will jump down your throat. Also I don't think it is right to talk about someone, if the person isn't even allowed on the forum to defiend themselves. But I don't argue with anyone...I am a peace maker. I usually just lurk...to learn.
There is another forum that won't let you give the name of other fourms or sites that might really help someone. Everyone is here to learn or help other people if they can. So again I just lurk over there ...to learn some more.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Redfoot NERD said:
Madkins007 said:

(snip)
Terry K

Several sources- Pritchard "Turtles of Venezuela", Vinke & Vetter "South American Tortoises", the Wikipedia entry for Redfoots, and EMYSystem for the range map. (Red-foots at http://emys.geo.orst.edu/cgi-bin/emysmap?tn=137&cf=ijklmno)

I really like EMYSYSTEM- it uses actual coordinates to pretty precisely point out where actual animals have been found. It has its own set of flaws- it takes what are often old and inaccurate museum tags at face value, but at least it pinpoints sites rather than showing vague ranges. It also tends to show more data around cities, research stations, etc. where more collecting is done.

The data on the eastern part of Brazil came from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Brazil

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow! Great information Madkins the maps are great to look at. I kind of feel like I'm in school here. There is a lot of things to look up with those sites that you listed that I didn't realize. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.