Having trouble keeping it humid and hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
I am having trouble keeping my leopard's enclosure hot and humid.

Thanks to the great advice I have received from many of you one here, I have him set up in a closed enclosure. He has his water bowel and I spray down the enclosure twice a day. At first I had one main light, basking area around 95, surrounding area around 80 and the other half of the table (it is two tortoise table pushed together) was at 70 and on that end of the table the humidity was good around 80.

However, now I have added just a heat source to the other half of the table so his table is at a constant 80 degree and can't get the humidity passed 50ish.

Any suggestions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of substrate? I found coconut coir to work really good. You can pour water into a comer of the enclosure. The bottom of the coir will get wet, yet letting the top stay dry or dryer. Do not let the temps get to 70 with high humidity. Temps should not go below 80. Humid and cold makes for a sick tort.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
wellington said:
What kind of substrate? I found coconut coir to work really good. You can pour water into a comer of the enclosure. The bottom of the coir will get wet, yet letting the top stay dry or dryer. Do not let the temps get to 70 with high humidity. Temps should not go below 80. Humid and cold makes for a sick tort.

I'm using Coconut coir, I also just add some sphagnum moss (someone recommend that to me on here) to it as well. And still am having trouble.

How offended do you pour water into the corner? I just changed out everything sunday night, it was nice a wet on bottom, dry on top and have been spraying it since, still can't get above 50 right now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You did say it was enclosed right. It has a top on it? What are you using to read humidity? If its one of those disc things from the pet store, it's probably way off. Same goes for those things reading temps. If your substrate was wet on the bottom and you spray the top and your temps are right and you have a top on it, your humidity should be higher then 50.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
It is enclosed: two wooden zoomed tortoise tables together witg plexiglass on top eith one whole cut out on each for the lights to go. Yes it is the kind from petsmart. What kind do you suggest getting??

I can post a picture tonight when I get home!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are most likely creating a chimney effect with your heat lamps. The heat generated by your lamps rises up and into the room, and those enclosures have a fair amount of cracks and crevices all around which allow cool dry air from the room to enter as the heat goes up and out the top.

Covering the top is better than having a wide open top, but as you are seeing, it can still be a big challenge to contain your heat and humidity with the heat lamps outside and on top of the enclosure.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
Tom said:
You are most likely creating a chimney effect with your heat lamps. The heat generated by your lamps rises up and into the room, and those enclosures have a fair amount of cracks and crevices all around which allow cool dry air from the room to enter as the heat goes up and out the top.

Covering the top is better than having a wide open top, but as you are seeing, it can still be a big challenge to contain your heat and humidity with the heat lamps outside and on top of the enclosure.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this? The heat lamps are sitting on top of the table n I have foil around it to cover up the holes n keep it from burning the plexiglass.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I tried for years to overcome that and couldn't. "Team Gomberg" has had some success with it. Try to PM her.

My solution was to build a real closed chamber and have all the heating and lighting INSIDE the enclosure. No holes and no chimney effect that way.
Here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

Doing it this way makes maintaining perfect temperature and humidity easy year round.

waitmanff

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I tried for years to overcome that and couldn't. "Team Gomberg" has had some success with it. Try to PM her.

My solution was to build a real closed chamber and have all the heating and lighting INSIDE the enclosure. No holes and no chimney effect that way.
Here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

Doing it this way makes maintaining perfect temperature and humidity easy year round.

Yea I got all my ideas from her! She has been great at helping set everything up and give me ideas!

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
My lamps sit on top over holes covered in foil. I use wood as the top with water resistance. I am using rocks to firmly hold the wood down (works well). I've also added an extra small hole where my humidifier is connected.

I have a 40 gallon "breeder" tank. Coco coir and a humid hide using a plastic tote. Mine stays at 90% humidity and 90% or higher in temps.

The smallest of the two enjoys the hot side. My other enjoys the hide.

Thanks,
Shelly

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379520332855.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379520332855.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 51

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ShellyTurtleTort said:
The smallest of the two enjoys then hot side. My other enjoys the hide.

Would you please keep us updated on their growth? In many of my groups I see the same sort of "personal" preferences, and I want you to tell us which one grows faster and smoother. In my groups, the ones that use the hides always grow faster and smoother, even though they are on the exact same routine in the exact same enclosure.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Will do. I am curious, too.

I had originally set them up outside with just a humid hide but I noticed the baby of the two avoided it. So, I intervened. Now we're going all out humid and hot.

Thanks,
Shelly

waitmanff

5 Year Member
ShellyTurtleTort said:
My lamps sit on top over holes covered in foil. I use wood as the top with water resistance. I am using rocks to firmly hold the wood down (works well). I've also added an extra small hole where my humidifier is connected.

I have a 40 gallon "breeder" tank. Coco coir and a humid hide using a plastic tote. Mine stays at 90% humidity and 90% or higher in temps.

The smallest of the two enjoys the hot side. My other enjoys the hide.

Thanks,
Shelly

I see you said humidifier is connected? Where would I go to get one? How does it work?

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
I use my frog one but you can get the elephant and I think that'd be better. I'm using what I already own. You can get that at Walmart or Target. You'll need to measure for a hose that you'll purchased at Lowes or Home Depot so that you can run it from the humidifier to the enclosure. I use plastic wrap to secure it into place to keep the heat/humidity from escaping.

I keep mine on the lowest setting as the water dish and moist coir keep up the humidity rather well. You'll need to keep a close eye and find your setting. It supplies a continuous flow of humidity that can get lost due to small cracks/holes.

Thanks,
Shelly

waitmanff

5 Year Member
ShellyTurtleTort said:
I use my frog one but you can get the elephant and I think that'd be better. I'm using what I already own. You can get that at Walmart or Target. You'll need to measure for a hose that you'll purchased at Lowes or Home Depot so that you can run it from the humidifier to the enclosure. I use plastic wrap to secure it into place to keep the heat/humidity from escaping.

I keep mine on the lowest setting as the water dish and moist coir keep up the humidity rather well. You'll need to keep a close eye and find your setting. It supplies a continuous flow of humidity that can get lost due to small cracks/holes.

Thanks,
Shelly

What kind of gage do you have to measure the humidity?

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa

waitmanff said:
ShellyTurtleTort said:

Thanks,
Shelly

What kind of gage do you have to measure the humidity?

Keep in mind, this is just what I do... I am sure others would suggest something better/easier. I do what works for me/mine

It's sitting in the enclosure upon a rock. I set it on the cooler side. I also have inaccurate ones around the enclosure that I've been using in comparison to the good one. It just gives me an idea of what all else is at in the enclosure.

Thanks,
Shelly

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379521952286.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379521952286.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 58
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379522258794.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379522258794.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 53

sirjojo

5 Year Member
what would happen to the tortoise if his substrate is not humid enough?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
sirjojo said:
what would happen to the tortoise if his substrate is not humid enough?
You don't really want the substrate to be soaking wet. You want the water vapor in the air to be high. This ensures they are well hydrated and that is what allows for the natural growth. If their environment isn't humid enough or they are not well hydrated then they grow unnatural and the keratin in the scutes stack upwards to look like pyramids.

waitmanff,

I agree with Tom that you are loosing humidity out of the gaps and holes.
I have found that any little hole or opening will make a BIG difference. Right now I have 2 aquariums set up as "closed chambers". The tops are covered completely and the holes that are cut out for the heat sources have aluminum foil strips that extends under the dome about 1". Then the dome is sealed to the foil so even here there is no gap or opening. I also have tube fluorescent lighting that is on top of the clear cover for extra lighting but no opening.
The chamber with the 3 small leopards is always over 85%. I literally don't have to spray or add water for weeks. At night when the CHE clicks on (on thermostat) my humidity will rise to 99%.
The chamber that the 2 larger leopards sleep in is always over 95% usually at 99%. Again, I hardly have to add water.

If you have to spray, add or pour water then it means your humidity is leaving. Find out from where and seal the gap.

I am on the hunt for some larger/taller aquariums so I can make a REAL closed chamber and contain all the heat sources INSIDE.. But until then, I have zero problems this way and my leopards are growing smooth as proof.

I can't upload pics from tinypic right now because of a new ad blocker. But email me (link on my profile) and I'll share some pics or detailed info with you if you want. Put TFO or something turtle related in the subject line so my hubby doesn't mark it as junk or spam LOL

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
You can try and keep one half with the plexiglass and the other half with wood, with ceramic fixtures mounted inside. I use melamine, it's mold resistant and is heavy enough to stay balanced. I use ceramic lighting fixtures with a metal wire cover and mount them inside. I purchased them at my Lowes for about $8 for 2 ceramic fixtures and 2 metal wire covers. It's fairly easy to do and takes no more than 45 minutes. Here's how mine looks.

iqq0.jpg

l8ol.jpg

waitmanff said:
It is enclosed: two wooden zoomed tortoise tables together witg plexiglass on top eith one whole cut out on each for the lights to go. Yes it is the kind from petsmart. What kind do you suggest getting??

I can post a picture tonight when I get home!

Status
Not open for further replies.