having trouble keeping temps up for my baby horsefield

LittleMrsSophieB

Location (City and/or State)
Northumberland
Hi everyone,
I just got a horsefield on halloween and he is so inactive I have tried long warm soaks but he's still the same arms and legs and neck all stretched out. The person we got him off made the tortoise table and provided us with a heat/uvb bulb... I am assuming it's because he's too cold? I've just ordered a inferred heat bulb.. do I put it in the middle of his table or above where he sleeps as I think the problem is through the night when the house cools right down. He only eats if you place him next to his food same as when he drinks...
I'll up load a picture of where he sleeps and see if you think that's where I should put the new bulb. He just doesn't move at all

Attachments

• 20181103_094406.jpg
    20181103_094406.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Pictures of your entire enclosure and lighting/heating setup will be most helpful.

1. Where was this tortoise purchased from?

2. What are the dimensions of the enclosure?

3. What are the 4 temperature zones? Basking spot, warm side, cool side, overnight low cool side?

4. What is the humidity level of the enclosure?

5. What are you using to measure temperature and humidity levels?

Return the infrared/red heat bulb. Buy a ceramic heat emitter and use that instead if your night time temperatures fall below 65-60F.

Purchase an 40-65 watt incandescent flood bulb and use that to replace the heat/UV(B) bulb. A mercury vapor bulb's heat and brightness can sometimes be too much for young tortoises. It's also not a very reliable product for UV(B).

Buy a separate linear florescent T5 fixture and UV(B) reptile rated linear florescent bulb such as an Arcadia T5 HO 12% or Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 bulb. Linear florescent bulbs are safer and the UV(B) reptile rated versions will last longer than mercury vapor bulbs.

A closed chamber style enclosure will do a better job keeping heat and humidity inside than an open enclosure will. Tortoise owners that live in colder or hotter regions also benefit from using closed chamber enclosures because temperatures outside of the enclosure has less of an effect than an open enclosure would.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome. As you are in the UK you have likely bought a baby

You cannot hope to get temperatures up in an open table. Babies need a cover - a closed chamber - the cover keeps the heat and humidity in.

Your basking bulb must hang vertically, not be at an angle, and have 35-37C directly underneath.

Use a temperature gun like this to accurately measure temperatures
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermometer-Zanmax-Non-Contact-Temperature-Indication/dp/B07CJ1SJYX/

You should also use a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat 24/7 to keep ambient temperatures steady

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

LittleMrsSophieB

Northumberland
Sorry everyone my internet went down yesterday...last night we kept the heaters on downstairs to keep the temps up, this morning when we came down he's roaming around and ate his breakfast! we have a closed vivarium coming tomorrow to try help him and a ceramic heat emmit bulb. Thank you everyone I will continue to try and improve everything x :)

Attachments

• 20181104_093956.jpg
    20181104_093956.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sorry everyone my internet went down yesterday...last night we kept the heaters on downstairs to keep the temps up, this morning when we came down he's roaming around and ate his breakfast! we have a closed vivarium coming tomorrow to try help him and a ceramic heat emmit bulb. Thank you everyone I will continue to try and improve everything x :)

Excellent news :) Well done :)