Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ewam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Ca.
I live in southern Cali in some hills and there are lots of hawks flying around. When I let my Leo run around outside for awhile I sometimes see a hawk or two flying around. I'm asking if anyone has had an experience when a hawk got there tortoise and how big does a tortoise have to be when a hawk won't go for him anymore.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I couldn't tell you about hawks, but can say that road runners are to be very wary of.....

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Oh really I always used to see road runners around but I haven't seen one in awhile.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hawks absolutely "can" swoop up a small tortoise....I would say that unless your tortoise is near adult or 10+ inches they can be a threat to an unprotected tortoise. Any tortoise can fall victim not only by Hawks but Ravens, snakes, coyotes, bobcats and a variety of other critter, in just the right situation, so there is no "full proofing 100%"

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Ravens aren't a problem we have rattlesnakes but they can't get up to where is outdoor enclosure is we have coyotes severe because tonight actually across the hills where another street is I could here a dog being attacked (scary) didn't know what to do. Bobcats my old dog got bit in the neck by one when he was 16 and I was at a clippers game and our neighbor heard and stopped it he lived that but died a year later. But I've never seen one. When I let my tort out I always sit in a chair out in the open. The thing is next summer I have to think what I have to do for an enclosure.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I know, when I first set up my guys outside I was a wreck, just of the unknown to begin with, although the only thing that I noticed around our house were Raven and once in awhile a Falcon....but I know that there are dogs as well as coyote that would roam the desert and go in and out of a variety of properties surrounding as well as ours ( We use to have two goats out on the property but noticed that they simply equated to "bait" and were attacked two different times by dogs, so they are no longer on the property...the number of wandering dogs through the property decreased rapidly). I have a young son and we are always in and out of the house at all hours...so in addition to my sons safety my torts were a concern as they are in and out of their burrow/hide houses as well all during tortoise season...

My guys are on a regular routine when they are out during tortoise season...out in the am...roam about...back into their burrows/hides...roam about a few more times during the day hours then like clockwork they tuck themselves in prior to night fall and that is where they stay quietly till am sun up...this I think (and always pray) helps them out a bit to not be to flashy...they were all wild at one time, so I always hope that they remember their skills to hide and dig in....

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Where do you live because I live in southern Cali in orange county if you know where that is we don't have ravens or falcons but one time I saw 4 giant turkey vultures in a park eating a dead skunk. My friend also saw a mountain lion once roaming his street. My only fear is having to keep out ground critters out at night next year.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I live in Apple Valley, Ca....high desert heading towards the Mojave, from your neck of the woods :D

Turkey Vultures are fine, they are scavengers not predatory. They happen to be one of my fav birds :p We have sooo many of them here when they migrate through, awesome.

...we have two dogs, one is able to roam from back around one side of the house near to the front...he is a fast dog and loves to scare the birds back up into the trees....he goes crazy if ravens fly over his property and shadows directly under them every moment he can...he is fast...he keeps alot of the squirrels at bay ...so he is helpful and while he does not get access to the tortoise he certainly notified me when one of my guys tried a stunt and ended up on his back... :p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
As far as flying birds go: hawks, ravens, etc., I think netting (deer/wire) is enough. I have not heard reports of them sitting on an enclosure and taking the time to bite through it, they cover a lot of ground and will go for easier prey (not to say it has never happened, just unlikely).
So making a frame over your enclosure with wood or PVC and covering it should work for flying predators.
Different story for ground predators like racoons, foxes, coyotes. They will dig under and bite/rip through. However, most are nocturnal, so if you secure your torts for the night inside or a sturdy shed on concrete, that should work.
As mentioned, never a 100% guarantee, but being outside is so worth it for them.
I do think it helps to keep leftover food to a minimum, especially pellets/fruit/Mazuri. Greens probably aren't as attractive, as they are not that different than weeds, and they tend to dry up.
If you plant your enclosure heavily in some areas, you provide both food and hiding spots. Some grasses are also nice. Of course, depending on the tort, you do have to leave a few open areas.
There are some good threads about enclosures on this forum, if you do a search you can see some that have tried to incorporate security.
Here is one that I like, although may be beyond many of our abilities or even needs, has good ideas.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-It-s-Complete-Final-Stage#axzz1YvwJtigC

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Well here is some photos of where I plan to put the enclosure.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/ewam44/?action=view&current=Zi6_9965.jpg
This is 7 ft by 4ft

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/ewam44/?action=view&current=Zi6_9967.jpg
It is surrounded by brick on concrete so nothing could dig under it but I don't know how I am going to attach anything to the brick.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/ewam44/?action=view&current=Zi6_9966.jpg

Here is where the planter is located it is far away from where something would just wonder up to.

http://s1182.photobucket.com/albums/x459/ewam44/?action=view&current=Zi6_9970.jpg

And lastly here are the hills where all the wild life lives, there is a big stream down there so most things are thriving down there.

I need some ideas to put something around that planter because i mostly don't know what to do with the bricks.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
I would watch the hawks because around here they do take turtles(box) so make sure your heard is ok every so often :D.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I assume the brick is the edge of the enclosure, but not part of it. If that is the case, you can make a PVC or wood frame just on the inside by pounding 4 2x2" stakes (sharpen the end) at each corner and then screwing cross pieces at the top and at the base.
Or, you can use PVC (they also have a grey version) by pounding a piece of rebar (2 feet?) at each corner and slipping the 1/2" PVC over the top, then making a frame using the connectors.
In either case, attach bird netting or galvanized wire with zip ties.
If you make this 'cage' short, you could have a lid top that opens for access.
Also make sure it is planted for shade if there is a lot of direct sun.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I like the idea where the top opens up I will make some shade there but I'm not going to start building it till spring though. Ya and I don't know why I wanted to attach it to the brick, don't know what I was thinking there.

Status
Not open for further replies.