Hay/Grass Diet Percentage for Greeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Centennial, CO
I'm still trying to hone in a good diet mix for my new golden greek. She's constantly on the prowl for food and I want to leave a wide variety of little piles in her enclosure so she has enough to eat throughout the day.

Today, I soaked some orchard hay and she gobbled it up! Would a daily mix of 70% spring mix and fresh greens and 30% hay be suitable for a greek/mediterranean breed? Or would it be better to chnage the ratio and/or alternate days of fresh greens vs hay?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Mediterranean tortoises can't really digest grasses very well, probably because they're so small. They may nibble on it a bit, but it's only a small fraction of their diet. What they need mostly is fresh forbs (leafy greens and weeds), and if you like, Mazuri Tortoise Diet.

BTW - Greek tortoises are not a breed. They're a species in the genus Testudo, and they may be divided into different subspecies.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
Thanks for the quick response. So I'll just leave a small pile for her to nibble on during the day, just to give her beak a workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.