he still wont eat.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cumbria england
not sure about the impaction he's never been near sand just topsoil at first then on coco coir for the past 9 months or so, there nothing stone wise in there smaller than a golf ball most are way bigger. he has no runny nose or funny noises while breathing.
i'll get a CHE and thermo stat today today. do they require a special holder or will the type used for house lights work ok?

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
don't know if it may help, i've been re reading all the care sheets in the other section and looking at the pics ect he seems very small for his age. he was supposedly 12month ish when we got him and we've had him almost a year so almost 2 and hes a tiny bit over 2 1/2 inch long,

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
i'll get a CHE and thermo stat today today. do they require a special holder or will the type used for house lights work ok?
They need to have a ceramic base/holder. I would also use a ceramic base for basking lamps as well.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
You are welcome. If you haven't had a fecal exam done to eliminate a parasite infestation it might be money well spent. Parasites can cause the symptoms you have been describing and if the test are negative then you have eliminated that possibility.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
its been a busy day i got the enclosure closed in i dismantled the old viv and used the glass sliding doors to cover most of it. took a bit of tweaking with random bits of wood again robbed from the old viv and i had to cut the nice curved edges off:(. its ugly but it works lol. i made a wooded door/hatch for the last 20inch until i find some thing better. its very humid in there now 73% and climbing last time i checked. i'm going to get the CHE and thermostat as soon as the kids get in from school.
100_6330.JPG 100_6331.JPG

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i got the CHE and thermostat just need to find a ceramic holder tomorrow they seem harder to find than hens teeth locally. is it ok to mount the CHE and the heat light quite close together? there's not really any where to hang it on the other end of the enclosure because of the uv tube. unless it goes in the gap between the tube and the back wall. but there would only be a couple inch either side. would it burn the wood or damage the tube?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
mine are mounted close together, My CHE is on a thermostat never comes on when the Basking light is on and in a closed chamber doesn't have to work a lot at night either.

Randi

Canada
Saw your progress and wanted to say good job! Your tort will thank you :)

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
how heavy is it? 2.5 inches at two years old is awfull small and it could now be suffering the effects of a poor start.
do you have information how it was raised before you got it?

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
how heavy is it? 2.5 inches at two years old is awfull small and it could now be suffering the effects of a poor start.
do you have information how it was raised before you got it?
i got him from a pet shop, (before i knew better) from what i remember he was on wood shavings of some description anand fed bags of baby leaf salad from the supermarket. he was in with a much bigger russian. i'm not sure how accurate her info on age was every thing els was wrong so who knows. he weighs 63grams looking back at some old pics he seems to have grown maybe 10mm.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
Saw your progress and wanted to say good job! Your tort will thank you :)
thanks, he came out of cave his self this morning, he's sitting under the light for now. temp is sitting at 103 in the warm side and humidy it about 75%

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i finally got all the bits (i had to mail order the ceramic holders). where should i put the thermostat probe/sensor thing? does it go under the CHE at tort level?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
i finally got all the bits (i had to mail order the ceramic holders). where should i put the thermostat probe/sensor thing? does it go under the CHE at tort level?
The probe should be at tort level for sure, but high enough that you tortoise won't damage it. Mine was positioned toward the cool side of the enclosure.