He won't eat mazuri

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
It seems a lot of tortoises don't like the new mazuri, just Mazuri original.
Some don't like any at all.
If he's eating a nice healthy balanced diet of other foods, i wouldn't worry.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I soak the original mazuri in water until it's soft, then I break it up and mix it in with greens and flowers. Mine didn't care for it at first, but I kept offering it, and now he prefers it over other food. I do give it in moderation, maybe 2 days a week or so.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
They still make the original tortoise Mazuri. I order directly from their site.
I find it best to mix it together with their normal food in a food processor. It works great.
I'm a huge fan of Mazuri; both for aquatics (especially hatchlings) and land dwellers.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I agree! I've never given it to my tort. Lots of other options and I believe fresh is best!
I give my torts 20% of their diet or less . And I have noticed they swam to be growing a little faster and a little healthier . But of course I've only been raising torts for 17 years . But if you don't try it how do you voice your options. It's like someone raising dogs telling me how to raise torts . But have a great day !

Maitaimommy

Because my tort is thriving and I've never used it! You have a great day as well!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why feed junk food? Use real produce.

A diet heavy in Mazuri would be better than a diet heavy in produce.

Tortoises should be eating mostly weeds, leaves, flowers, succulents and grass for some species. Produce or Mazuri should be a small percentage of the over all food intake, ideally.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because my tort is thriving and I've never used it! You have a great day as well!!!

How do you know your tortoise wouldn't be even better if you haven't tried it?

No one can match the variety and seasonal variation they would get in the wild. Mazuri is a good way to ensure they are getting all the necessary nutrients and in a balanced digestible form.

I agree that they don't have to eat Mazuri and that with a good varied diet, they don't "need" Mazuri, but Mazuri is still a good supplement that will help ensure any tortoise is getting full and complete nutrition.

I never used to use any prepared food. I turned my nose up at all of that "fake" "processed" cr*p food. Then one day, a guy with a lot more knowledge and experience than me explained all of this and convinced me to give it a try. The results are noticeable. Its good stuff. Been using it for a few years now and nothing but good to report.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
My baby red foot has been a good eater, but he will not eat mazuri. Does anyone have any tips on helping him get one?
My little guy goes absolutely mental for them. I guess tortoises have different palettes just like us :p. I noticed that my tortoise won't eat lamb lettuce unless I hand him, he will happily eat it no problem right after.

Maitaimommy

How do you know your tortoise wouldn't be even better if you haven't tried it?

No one can match the variety and seasonal variation they would get in the wild. Mazuri is a good way to ensure they are getting all the necessary nutrients and in a balanced digestible form.

I agree that they don't have to eat Mazuri and that with a good varied diet, they don't "need" Mazuri, but Mazuri is still a good supplement that will help ensure any tortoise is getting full and complete nutrition.

I never used to use any prepared food. I turned my nose up at all of that "fake" "processed" cr*p food. Then one day, a guy with a lot more knowledge and experience than me explained all of this and convinced me to give it a try. The results are noticeable. Its good stuff. Been using it for a few years now and nothing but good to report.

I've received most of my feeding info on this forum. I've never heard of Mazuri until very recently. It's not sold in stores near me. My tort is eating a good variety of produce, weeds, and given calcium supplements reguarly. His eyes are bright and he is healthy and active.
When others ask for feeding advice I share what I've learned. I am new to tortoise keeping and continue to learn more and more daily. I am happy with what and how much he eats as well as his activity level.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've received most of my feeding info on this forum. I've never heard of Mazuri until very recently. It's not sold in stores near me. My tort is eating a good variety of produce, weeds, and given calcium supplements reguarly. His eyes are bright and he is healthy and active.
When others ask for feeding advice I share what I've learned. I am new to tortoise keeping and continue to learn more and more daily. I am happy with what and how much he eats as well as his activity level.

That all sounds good, but don't close your mind to new info. I can be a stubborn jackass at times, and it never helped my tortoises when I chose to remain ignorant and refuse to learn new things. Not saying you are like that, just saying that I am like that sometimes, and its not good.

Mazuri is a good supplemental tortoise food, and it might even help you get through some tough times in the coming winter.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
I offer Mazuri, produce, and weeds every day.
I have video cameras and record my torts' food intake. It's surprising, but they rotate what they eat. None of my torts is exclusive except the smallest. She refuses Mazuri. The old formula and the new one. And I mash it, grind it, mix it, mush it. She still turns her little nose up every time.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Should we feed our children "easy" and unnatural diets of hot dogs just because they seem bright eyed and healthy? Our tortoises were meant to eat various vegetables and some protein some times. "Mazuri" is just some hucksters idea of how to make money. He's found a lot of suckers apparently.