little hinge

Location (City and/or State)
lagos
(species- forest hinge back)hello, i just got my first ever tortoise a few days ago, he came form a farm and was caught, the farmer said he eats ugbono fruit, but there was a small problem, I fed him a varied diet of cucumbers,cabbage,apples and bannanas but he wont even eat it,my mom even gave him the ugbono but wont even touch it, so i check online and saw that it might be the temprature so I took him took the back where the sun hits the hardest there but he wont even bask, i even soak him every morinings but he will always go back to his hide and never come out, but the oddest thing is that the farmer fed him and he always ate it and the only time ive seen him poop was the first day got him, I still leave out food and water but im starting to get worried im the only person that cares for him so its my responsibilty to see him healthy is there anything I can do ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The farmer took a tortoise from the wild? Are they native where you live?
If the tort is native to where you live he should be taken back where he was taken from and let go.
They should not be taken from the wild.
If this isn't the case then you need to give him some time to adjust to his new home. If he was captive already it will take some time. If he is wild and taken from the wild it could be a very long time and may not do well.
Keep offering food, I'm not sure what their diet is. Lots of torts can't handle fruit. Also keep him hydrated with soaks.
Others can help with the required care.
@Jacqui

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If the tort is native to where you live he should be taken back where he was taken from and let go.
If this isn't the case then you need to give him some time to adjust to his new home. If he was captive already it will take some time. If he is wild and taken from the wild it could be a very long time and may not do well.
Keep offering food, I'm not sure what their diet is. Lots of torts can't handle fruit. Also keep him hydrated with soaks.
@Jacqui
Hingebacks can do fruits

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Was he wild caught? These guys can be quite shy and not eating is common in newly acquired ones. Try keeping him a quiet spot, one with light sun and shade, lots of things to hide under, high humidity, and no handling. Maybe leave the food right by his hide. Does he have good weight? What are the temperatures?

little hinge

lagos
Was he wild caught? These guys can be quite shy and not eating is common in newly acquired ones. Try keeping him a quiet spot, one with light sun and shade, lots of things to hide under, high humidity, and no handling. Maybe leave the food right by his hide. Does he have good weight? What are the temperatures?
i havent weighed him yet and i mostly rely on the sun to keep him warm but I dont have any heat pads for the night

little hinge

lagos
@Jacqui
no he is not native from where i live, the farm away from where im from

csheikh

Lahore
I don't think the tortoise should have that much fruit, although it depends on the species. Can you show a picture so we can figure out what to feed it?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
i havent weighed him yet and i mostly rely on the sun to keep him warm but I dont have any heat pads for the night
What are just the normal daily temperatures where you live? Heat from below is not ideal.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I don't think the tortoise should have that much fruit, although it depends on the species. Can you show a picture so we can figure out what to feed it?
Hingebacks do eat fruit and when one isn't eating, it tends to attract them. They prefer very ripe fruit at that. Do you have something like earthworms? What kind of bugs? Is Mazuri available there? Maybe even try a small bit of boiled chicken egg or even chicken.

Sorry I am not familiar with what you have there.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Hi! I don't believe I have met you. What kind(s) of hingebacks do you keep?

little hinge

lagos
Hingebacks do eat fruit and when one isn't eating, it tends to attract them. They prefer very ripe fruit at that. Do you have something like earthworms? What kind of bugs? Is Mazuri available there? Maybe even try a small bit of boiled chicken egg or even chicken.

Sorry I am not familiar with what you have there.
well no i dont know where to find worms and i there isnt any store bought ones where im from but there are a few snails that come sometimes are those ok

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
I don't know about hingebacks, but there is a whole section about them in the Species Specific section under 'African Tortoises' where you could find lots of information.

If you post a picture of the tort and his enclosure we can help you make sure he has everything he needs to stay healthy.

Last edited: