Head bobbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
So I've heard that head bobbing can be a sign of being territorial, and Ernie will sometimes bob his head..but hes the only tort we have. Why would he feel the need to be territorial? Or is there another reason for his head bobbing?

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Hahaha.. actually he does seem to do it when I'm watching him. But not asking him a question :p

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Dang I thought I nailed that one. But my russian male does it but only to the female in his enclosure. Never to me.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Charlie loves to bob his head at us when he, i believe, thinks we are going to mess with him or his habbitat. --- meaning when he is basking and does not want to be moved, we are cleaning or fixing something in his enclosure or moving his food around.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've seen my some of my male Russian tortoises occasionally stretch their necks out, drop their heads and bob their head when a new member is introduced to the group and when they are courting a female to breed. In my experience male Russian tortoises only show territorial tendencies when a female is present and even then it is usually only during breeding season and not at other times of the year. During breeding season my dominant male will attempt to chase other smaller males away. Those same males that at other times of the year he pays no attention to whatsoever.
At the same time I have also seen dominant females head bob but never become physically aggressive as the males do. I believe that it's territorial.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Weloveourtortoise said:
Charlie loves to bob his head at us when he, i believe, thinks we are going to mess with him or his habbitat. --- meaning when he is basking and does not want to be moved, we are cleaning or fixing something in his enclosure or moving his food around.

I think this would probably be the best explanation for why Ernie did it, being as 1) He was basking when he bobbed his head and 2) I just rearranged his enclosure the day before, because I added a little "Habba Hut" for him =]

Thanks!

But as for females, the only female around is me. He's never been with another tort since he was brought home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Although I think they look kinda' cute or funny, when they bob, I think in the tortoise world, head bobbing looks pretty intimidating. A male will bob his head in front of a female and she is supposed to just swoon and stand still so he can mount her. Or a dominant female will bob her head at another tortoise and this is supposed to just intimidate the poop right out of the other opponent.

I have no idea why your little guy thought he had to bob at you, but I think its rather cute!!

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Oh its the cutest thing ever! I love when he does it =] I could watch him for hours! :p

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I always thought it was just Taco's way of saying hello. Now my feelings are hurt, wondering why she thinks she must intimidate me. No poop so far, though.

tortoiseman777

5 Year Member
AZ
my male bobs his sometimes when i take him out or hes by the female ;) i think he just wants to breed

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
tortoiseman777 said:
my male bobs his sometimes when i take him out or hes by the female ;) i think he just wants to breed

Uh-oh. If that's true, my relationship with Taco just got very complicated.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Stephanie Logan said:
Uh-oh. If that's true, my relationship with Taco just got very complicated.

HAHAHAH!!! And who said torts didn't have feelings? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.