head twitching [russian tortoise]

d3r

hi guys, you all helped a great deal last time I had an issue with my Russian tortoise last year so hopefully you can help again!

a few days ago we noticed our female Russian tortoise twitching from the neck up.
naturally we went straight to google and it appeared to be a common issue. however most people linked it to displaying dominance, discontent or wanting to mate and things of that nature.

but watching the videos they seemed like more of a "bobbing head" instead of a twitching head like we are experiencing.

it comes and goes but really seems to show up when we go up to her enclosure and she walks over to check us out or beg for food.

shes been eating and soaking regularly...no noticeable changes other than the twitch.

whatcha think? thanks in advance!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
A video would help
But it does sound like nor head bobbing

d3r

I will try to get a video asap...shouldve known thatd be needed haha duuuuuuuj.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Bobbing head sounds more like the normal breathing pattern. As a tortoise breathes, its head bobs slightly. It is completely normal and nothing to worry about.

d3r

sorry its EXTREMELY late..but heres a vid...sorry for the poor quality (thats my gfs iPhone for you haha) but youll get the idea...I dont think its "normal" honestly.

* starts about 10 seconds in

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like head bobbing to me. Nothing out of the ordinary.

d3r

Really? Thats wild haha..I wouldve never thought a violent jerk like that is normal. But I guarantee yall know more than me!

mkaykay

Minnesota
Bobbing head sounds more like the normal breathing pattern. As a tortoise breathes, its head bobs slightly. It is completely normal and nothing to worry about.
What a relief hearing that! I've had my Hermann turbo for four days and was getting nervous!

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
My yellowfoot females do that. Originally I thought it was a nesting tick. But I see it more and more when their just laying around too. Totally normal:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have two female RF that do that from time to time.
It DOES seem to be a form of communication to warn others that they are having a bad day.
One does is most of the time. Very shallow and not as noticeable.