Health Concern - Need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natasha

5 Year Member
Hello,
I am in a desperate need of an advise. I was soaking my baby sulcata Morty last night, and I guess it was a little too much water, he put his head down in the water and I really not sure what happened, but he was not doing good. It appears that he got water in his nose, because after we shaked him and tried to get him to respond, he was making this movement, kind of like a hickups and rubbing his nose and I saw some water bubbles come out. Anyway, he seemed to be better and even ate his green before bed. This morning he is not as active, not as usual, like going for his food etc. Is there anything we can do? I am so worried and feel so terrible about this.
Another thing, I am soaking him everyday for 15 min, is it too much, he is about 4 month old or just right?
Any advise is appreciated,
Thank you so much!

Becki

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque
I don't think you need to worry. A lot of times they will dip under the water for a big drink. Water up his nose shouldn't hurt him. Your soaking routine sounds fine.

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
when he sticks his head in like that he is drinking water.. he can put his head down in the water for quite some time, so dont worry let him do what he wants in the water but just make sure the water is not deep :p
mine did that this morning , he is 4 months also, he had a productive day yesterday since it was over 80.. keep soaking him for 15 min a day and make sure u mist him w/ water til he drips everytime u walk by him, pretty sure u know this :D

Natasha

5 Year Member
He wasn't chilled, and I had him in same amount of water as pretty much usual, maybe a quarter of an inch or little less. Thank you so much for all your replies, I hope he is just resting. I am going to search for pics of soaking just to make sure water level is perfect, will up his temp now!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Natasha:

Just to offer a bit more of an explanation for you:

Tortoises put their whole face in the water and then pull water in through their nose and mouth. The other end of the nares (nasal tubes) goes into the roof of the mouth, not down their throat. Its perfectly normal for them to drink through their nose and you sometimes see water coming out the nose.

Natasha

5 Year Member
Thank you so much, this is very good to know. It just that we almost thought he was gone last night for a moment. He was limb and not responsive, my husband even tried like a CPR or something, we were so concern. Maybe he was just super tired. I will post how he is doing after I see him at lunch!
Thank you again, this place is AWESOME!

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
That sounds normal. Remember that torts do not have a mammel like metabolism, so they have peaks and valleys for sure. Just offer him what he needs and he will take what he needs.

Also, dont shake him. If anything turn him upside down. Shaking could throw off his diaphram.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Natasha said:
because after we shaked him and tried to get him to respond, he was making this movement, kind of like a hickups and rubbing his nose and I saw some water bubbles come out.

Dont shake dry tortoises, or any animal for that reason. A soft towel is best.

Natasha

5 Year Member
Thank you for all the information. Morty seems to be doing much better, he slept all day yesterday, but in the evening ate his greens! And this morning back for greens again! Makes me Happy!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I would offer a 30 pound Sulcata the chance to soak himself. That means if I had a 30 pound Sulcata he would be set up outside and I would have a container in the ground with water in it so he could have the opportunity to soak himself. A 30 pound animal is pretty mature and should have the choice to soak or not to soak. I have an 80 pound Sulcata and that's how he is treated...:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You don't decide if a sulcata over 30 pounds soaks, only it can make that decision.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
FOR LARGE torts.. i use a plastic garbage can lid.. make a depression in the dirt, lay it in it so its level with the ground and put water in it. simple.
easy to clean too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Natasha, it sounds like you startled him in the middle of a drink and maybe some "went down the wrong pipe", so to speak. They will often put their entire face in the water for several minutes. Even a tiny hatchling would have a hard time drowning in a 1/4" of water. I like to soak mine everyday too. I'm still soaking my 3 year old every day. Is it really necessary? Maybe not. Does it hurt anything? No. Might it be very beneficial? Probably.

jmmf247 said:
To soak or not to soak...I'd like to know if i should soak my 30lb sulcata daily or weekly. I hear some people say to soak...and others say never to soak..what is correct?

Everybody has their own opinion on this. As long as they have access to water AND they actually drink it, they should be able to survive their whole lives with out a soak. That doesn't mean a soak is not good for them. I have adults ranging from 38 to 70 pounds and I soak all of them. Usually once a month in the winter months and once or twice a week in the hot summer months. My adults always have access to clean drinking water.

Natasha

5 Year Member
Hello everyone.
I haven't been attending forum at all, because, well, my Morty died. It was pretty awful. All this little issues with him, we took him to a vet, but it was too late. The vet said that he had to be twice a size he was and his bottom shell was too soft. I thought that was normal, because he came that way. She suspected that he was a sick hatchling from the beginning, since I bought him at the show and they had hundreds of baby sulcatas. Anyway, I don't know if I get one again, I love tortoises, but it was not a good experience and I can't help it to think if I did something wrong to him, and I certainly don't want anything bad to happen to a new one.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
give it time.. and dont get a hatchling... get an older on in need of a loving home. you learned a lot.. use it on another.. when you are ready.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
How sad ... I'm very sorry for your loss Natasha. Tortoises can really grab hold of ones heart.
From what I read its not so easy to raise a hatchling and it does indeed seem like many purchase hatchlings with issues already so your Vet is likely correct. I agree with Laura, dont give up. Give it some time and one day maybe you'll come across an older Tortoise. Mine were 6 and 8 yrs old when I brought them home. They are just as dear to me as if I raised them myself.
Hang in there and again, my sincere condolences.

Status
Not open for further replies.