Health Issues? Concerned :(

brittjoslyn211

Hello everyone. So I've been noticing that on the front of my tortoise's shell, it's almost as if his shell is separating at the lines? It almost looks stringy in between the front lines, sorry that's the best way to describe it. Also, his face has these dry white patches. Wondering if anyone could help me out with this. He has been very active since moving into his new enclosure about a month ago.

1433348705150.jpg 1433348769785.jpg 1433348847895.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The new growth does look very dry and brittle. It should be soft and pliable. Do you have him under a harsh, hot light?

He might benefit from a bit of extra virgin coconut oil painted on the growth lines with a Q-tip. Allow it to soak in for a few minutes, then polish it off with a clean, absorbent cloth. You can do this every other day or so until you start to see the new growth looking a little softer.

Your light needs to be at least 12" from the top of the tortoise. Better still, set him up outdoors in a safe and secure habitat.

brittjoslyn211

The new growth does look very dry and brittle. It should be soft and pliable. Do you have him under a harsh, hot light?

He might benefit from a bit of extra virgin coconut oil painted on the growth lines with a Q-tip. Allow it to soak in for a few minutes, then polish it off with a clean, absorbent cloth. You can do this every other day or so until you start to see the new growth looking a little softer.

Your light needs to be at least 12" from the top of the tortoise. Better still, set him up outdoors in a safe and secure habitat.
Thank you for the advice! His light is about 12" to 13" above him so not sure if that would be the cause. I will definitely try the coconut oil :)