Health of Red-footed tortoise when laying eggs

ScottG

Hello all,
I was reading a book on Red-footed tortoises and noticed something interesting. The author stated that if someone were to have a Red-footed tortoise that it should be a male. The reasoning was that a female will lay clusters of eggs as she ages and it will effect her health. Any thoughts on this? I have a female Red-footed tortoise which I adore! She follows me around the yard (even when she's not hungry) and hangs out with me. If she hears my voice she comes out of her cubby hole in the back yard behind the shed and heads straight towards me. With so much love, I'd hate to think that I was doing a back thing keeping her. Then I think...Even if she were elsewhere, she'd be alone anyway so...what's the difference? The book really got me thinking...
Perhaps some ideas on how to make sure she's healthy when she starts laying eggs. Right now she is 5 years old. I've had her since she was 6 months old.

Also, what does it mean when she shakes her rear when I scratch her shell there? It's cute, but I don't want to annoy her.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Malverne, NY
so what does the author suggest we do with the females? how do you know you have a female?

ScottG

so what does the author suggest we do with the females? how do you know you have a female?

The author didn't have a solution. The only suggestion was to get a male.
I know she is a female because her plastron is not concave and her tail is very short.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This author sounds ridiculous. They don't usually lay eggs without a male present and breeding them. If they do, its no big deal. If you breed them regularly, all you have to do is feed them well and occasionally offer some calcium supplementation to keep the healthy.

I think this is a ridiculous premise. Nothing wrong with females and it doesn't hurt their health to lay clutches of eggs if they are cared for properly.

ScottG

This author sounds ridiculous. They don't usually lay eggs without a male present and breeding them. If they do, its no big deal. If you breed them regularly, all you have to do is feed them well and occasionally offer some calcium supplementation to keep the healthy.

I think this is a ridiculous premise. Nothing wrong with females and it doesn't hurt their health to lay clutches of eggs if they are cared for properly.

Thanks Tom. That was my thought as well. I just don't have enough experience to know better. I'll take that book off my wish list for my birthday :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks Tom. That was my thought as well. I just don't have enough experience to know better. I'll take that book off my wish list for my birthday :)
Although I typically disagree with half of what is in a good tortoise book, I still like to tread them anyway. Your call. There might still be a useful tidbit of info in the book, and I'll bet the pictures are great. Your call.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Honestly I'd get the book just for the pictures ? but yeah like Tom said, when provided with the necessary calcium and lots of food there'll be no negative impact on health

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Honestly I'd get the book just for the pictures ? but yeah like Tom said, when provided with the necessary calcium and lots of food there'll be no negative impact on health
I have four female Redfoot that live together and none lay eggs.
I also have a Male. But he lives alone.
A single mating with a male and female can produce viable eggs for a very long time. Multiple clutches.
This is not something that I'm sure is a 100% science. And I'm not sure that it relates to any other species, but it seems to me that Redfoot hatchlings end up being at least 60% female. Maybe more.
And females are just as healthy as males.
Maybe even with slightly fewer nasty traits.

ScottG

I have four female Redfoot that live together and none lay eggs.
I also have a Male. But he lives alone.
A single mating with a male and female can produce viable eggs for a very long time. Multiple clutches.
This is not something that I'm sure is a 100% science. And I'm not sure that it relates to any other species, but it seems to me that Redfoot hatchlings end up being at least 60% female. Maybe more.
And females are just as healthy as males.
Maybe even with slightly fewer nasty traits.

I'm glad to know that females can live together. I have my one Redfoot in a 20'x25' enclosure outside for the nice weather (I live in Massachusetts) and I thought I'd get her another female Redfoot or two. First, I will be moving North so I can have more land to build an indoor/outdoor place for them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm glad to know that females can live together. I have my one Redfoot in a 20'x25' enclosure outside for the nice weather (I live in Massachusetts) and I thought I'd get her another female Redfoot or two. First, I will be moving North so I can have more land to build an indoor/outdoor place for them.
With enough space, multiple female Redfoot usually work. Multiple being 3 or more. I do not recommend pairs. Even if they're both female.
And in mixed groups, 3 females per male.

ScottG

With enough space, multiple female Redfoot usually work. Multiple being 3 or more. I do not recommend pairs. Even if they're both female.
And in mixed groups, 3 females per male.

Good to know...thanks! Now I wish I took all 3 baby tortoises when I had the chance. The guy was crazy nice and didn't charge me when he heard that I was a school teacher and the tortoise was for my classroom.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Good to know...thanks! Now I wish I took all 3 baby tortoises when I had the chance. The guy was crazy nice and didn't charge me when he heard that I was a school teacher and the tortoise was for my classroom.
You may want to search posts about tortoises in the classroom.
Tortoises don't usually do well in that environment.
(Not that I have any experience with that. I wasn't a teacher. I was a school board mechanic)

ScottG

You may want to search posts about tortoises in the classroom.
Tortoises don't usually do well in that environment.
(Not that I have any experience with that. I wasn't a teacher. I was a school board mechanic)

Well...the idea was that it was going to be a class pet. The reality was that it never left my house because my family fell in love with her.
I'm ok with that outcome. I did trade the guy for something he would never be able to get his hands on and he's always wanted one. It was a fair trade.