Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

miggs

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Unfortunately my tortoise has just died and the vet didn't know what was wrong. I didn't want to put him through a post-mortem, so i was wondering if anyone could help me?

Basically, he was very lively and climbed everywhere he could until yesterday, he started to become very lethargic and stopped moving this morning. On closer examination he seemedto be bleeding from around the tail area. Can anyone help in telling me what was wrong?!

PS. I don't know forsure if it was a he or a she. (Vet couldn't help because he didn't have a clue about tortoises!)

Sorry for the morbid topic.

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
california
first, what type of tortoise was it? cuz from what you explained it sounds kind of like an impaction. how many times a week did you soak him/her?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am very sorry to hear that :(. It must have been very hard to find your little one like that. My thoughts are with you.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm sorry to hear that :(

Was his plastron red?

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sorry to hear your little one died. Sometimes there is no definitive reasons. Again sorry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its always hard to lose an animal, and I'm very sorry for your loss. We here on the forum can tell you of our experiences, but we really can't diagnose your tortoise's cause of death without having seen the symptoms, how it was kept, how fed, etc. From what little you said, it does sound like an impaction, but if the tortoise was dead when you found it, then most likely the bleeding came after death, not causing death. In that case it would be some sort of internal problem that no one would be able to know without a necropsy. Danny asked if the plastron was red. That's because he wanted to know if maybe the tortoise was suffering from septicemia, which shows up as red in the light colored spaces between the scutes. I really wish we could help you, but there is just too much we don't know.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.