Healthy Hatchling Growth

prc93

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hey everyone,

Can somebody take a look at my hatchling and tell me if it looks like she(hopefully...) is growing well? I purchased her from a great breeder on here, she is an Ibera Greek.

I keep her on coco coir and try to maintain a humidity level of at least 60%. From what I can tell, this is high enough for the Mediterranean species, I realize some other species need higher humidities.

I've noticed that she is losing her dark coloration as she grows. Also, I sometimes worry the dark parts on her scutes are early signs of pyramiding. Finally, there are some small circles noticeable on her shell, I'm wondering what they are.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 132

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Looks fine to me. That's as normal growth as you can expect. Those small circles appear to be dried up water circles. Wet the shell and wipe where the circles are and they should disappear....totally harmless

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To assess pyramiding, or the lack thereof which seems to be your case, a profile shot is most helpful.

The little circles and squiggly lines are normal. No one seems to know what they are. They are most visible during or after a soak, and they tend to become less visible as the tortoise gains size.

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks for the responses! I just get nervous sometimes as this is my first hatchling and I know it's a lot easier to screw them up early on.

Tom, I don't have a great profile shot right now, but I think this one should work. I can take another one if needed.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 2013-10-10 15.16.26.jpg
    2013-10-10 15.16.26.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks smooth from what I can see in the two photos.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Healthy Hatchling Growth

WillTort2 said:
Is that coco coir in the 2nd picture?

I was wondering about that too. I never saw any like that. I have only seen the finely ground stuff.

Beautiful little tort, btw. :)