Healthy Plants to Grow in NC climate

TortoisesCarolina

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
I am starting to get into some botany and I am trying to find some good plants to grow for my tortoises. I know about hibiscus and prickly pear, I just want to be able to provided a varied diet with the least grocery store trips as possible. The area I live is a 7-8 hardiness zone (depending on which map you are looking at). Thank you for any help you can provide.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I believe I accidentally hit the unfollow tab and I don't want to do that. I was trying to see your messages to see what kind of tortoise you have so I could make some suggestions. And at that time one of my dogs jumped up and hit my arm. Hopefully it can be fixed. I don't see an option for me to do it.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Do you know that rose of Sharon is in the hibiscus family? Red footed tortoises eat elephant ear type plants. Try to pick up a couple different types of opuntia that you can grow outside all year. Even the ones with spines can be fed during spring and summer because the new growth pads usually don't have spines until they start to mature. There's sedums that's safe to feed tortoise's that are winter hardy.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
I am starting to get into some botany and I am trying to find some good plants to grow for my tortoises. I know about hibiscus and prickly pear, I just want to be able to provided a varied diet with the least grocery store trips as possible. The area I live is a 7-8 hardiness zone (depending on which map you are looking at). Thank you for any help you can provide.
I'm out in pittsboro/sanford area. I grow tons of hibiscus, prickly pear and endive, I also "grow" a lot of muscadine but I've not had a lot of luck getting them to eat it.

I'm curious what you find that works well, especially anything native. I'm not a big plant person, but I'd love to expand into other effortless plants to grow.

North Carolina
Another North Carolinian here! I am out of the Wake Forest/Creedmore area. I have also tried feeding my tortoises muscadine grape leaves but they were not interested at all.

While I have not begun growing food for my tortoises yet, I do I feed a lot of turnip greens and mustard greens from the grocery store. A quick Google search reveals that those are good plants to sow between august and October for a spring harvest.

On an unrelated note how are y'all keeping your tortoises during the winter? Mine are small and kept inside for now but I would like to keep them outdoors at some point.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Another North Carolinian here! I am out of the Wake Forest/Creedmore area. I have also tried feeding my tortoises muscadine grape leaves but they were not interested at all.

While I have not begun growing food for my tortoises yet, I do I feed a lot of turnip greens and mustard greens from the grocery store. A quick Google search reveals that those are good plants to sow between august and October for a spring harvest.

On an unrelated note how are y'all keeping your tortoises during the winter? Mine are small and kept inside for now but I would like to keep them outdoors at some point.
Radiateds in house Burmese stars in turtle building, assuming I get HVAC in

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
A very good reference for what is safe and what is not is tortoise table. Im in Zone 9 but I grow basket grass,St Augustine and pothos .All three seem to take over any area I make available for it to grow.Sounds like you already have a great start.Even though I grow outside crops I feed Mazuri Tortoise .