Healthy weight gain for horsefield

tsemiller

We got our wee horsefield, Rocky, about 5 1/2 months ago and he weighed 59 grams. He now weighs 77g and I just wanted to check he is gaining weight at the correct rate ? anyone help??

tsemiller

Can anybody give me a guide as to how much weight my wee guy should safely gain in a month? Just wanted to know I'm feeding him properly

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I do not recall the thread here, but there is some type of actual formula that offers its best guess to correct gain....

I personally know that there are so many variables involved that dictate growth and weight gain...so when you find that formula please dont think your tort has to fit in the exact mode....

A good indicator of good health is good appetite and when you lift the tort does it feel like a solid rock/boulder....you want the tort to feel heavy (in relation of course to the age of the tort) and solid and not feather/paper light...

tsemiller

He feels heavier than he looks when you pick him up so taking that as a good sign :). His appetite is good. He used to be quite fussy about what weeds and greens he ate but now I cut them up and mix them together and he eats way more than he did before. Got him eating quite a few new things this way. Still put in whole dandelions and other weeds whole so he doesn't get everything cut up. He also loves cuttlefish . Gotta say I'm surprised how much he eats for his size lol