Hearty plants for indoor enclosure?

HelloWorld

I'll get right to the point. Every plant I put in my tortoise's enclosure dies! The only plant that seems to survive the heat/humidity are pothos, but my tort loves to OBLITERATE pothos plants whenever I put them in, so I usually avoid them. Otherwise, I've tried spider plants (because I have 5 trillion of them to spare in this house) the previously mentioned pothos, rosemary, (the rosemary does fine in her outside box, but inside it died immediately) and a few different kinds of succulents. (Which both died and were eaten by my tort)

Any suggestions for a hearty, hard-to-kill tort-friendly plant that won't immediately die? Of course I keep the plants on the cool side of the enclosure, (6 foot by 4 foot) but it doesn't seem to help. No matter where I place plants, either they immediately shrivel and die or my tort shreds them to pieces. T__T I want some plants for his home, dang it!

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
The only plant I have directly in the substrate is some sedge grass and my sulcata won't even nibble it. Other than that I put my plants in pots, slightly sunk into the substrate.

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
I have a cactus, aloe, hibiscus and hosta in Kurt’s tank. So far he leaves it alone because I also plant dandelion and clovers patches which he will sleep and eat.

HelloWorld

The only plant I have directly in the substrate is some sedge grass and my sulcata won't even nibble it. Other than that I put my plants in pots, slightly sunk into the substrate.

I definitely don't plant anything directly into the substrate... Tried that a while back and instantly regretted it lol. Somehow, all these plants are managing to die in their pots!

HelloWorld

I have a cactus, aloe, hibiscus and hosta in Kurt’s tank. So far he leaves it alone because I also plant dandelion and clovers patches which he will sleep and eat.

Do any of those stand up well to high heat? I thought my succulents would have, but they died so quick!

Bambam1989

East Texas
Spider plants are pretty hardy. you might try prayer plant(don't have one but it's on my list). You might try starting some grass seeds?

Wendy Proulx

Chesapeake VA
My plants are doing great. My temp is at 80-85 degrees and humidity at 70%. Guess I’m just luck that he would rather eat the dandelions and clovers or what ever I put in his dish. I’ll try to remember to get a pic after my son gets up of the enclosure.

blakebeyer

Nj
IMG_1892.JPG I have had really good success with spider plants in my little guys enclosure. I also have bamboo palms doing fairly well in there. I planted Maybe 3 spider plants about a year ago and now have more springing up then I could ever use haha

HelloWorld

@ Wendy Proulx I tried succulents like that, but my tort ate them down to the substrate!! XD

@ blakebeyer Oh my gosh your enclosure is beautiful!!! I have so many spider plants I could plant, but my tort would just dig them all up or eat them down to the root! Maybe I should try again? If the spider plants get ANYWHERE NEAR the 90 degree-ish area of the tank, though, they immediately turn brown! How warm is the warm side of your tank?

blakebeyer

Nj
Tha
@ Wendy Proulx I tried succulents like that, but my tort ate them down to the substrate!! XD

@ blakebeyer Oh my gosh your enclosure is beautiful!!! I have so many spider plants I could plant, but my tort would just dig them all up or eat them down to the root! Maybe I should try again? If the spider plants get ANYWHERE NEAR the 90 degree-ish area of the tank, though, they immediately turn brown! How warm is the warm side of your tank?

Thank you! I keep the majority of the enclosure around the mid 80s with a hotter basking spot, and a large hide with a cool side and warm side. I had some of my initial plants kind of brown up but I changed the substrate to a peat moss, top soil, sand and spagnam moss mix that would hold moisture better and boost the humidity in there and they just took off! I have to cut them back and dig up some of the plants that pop up about once a month haha

Keanu Coolmist

Hawaii
I'll get right to the point. Every plant I put in my tortoise's enclosure dies! The only plant that seems to survive the heat/humidity are pothos, but my tort loves to OBLITERATE pothos plants whenever I put them. !

Aren’t pothos plants toxic?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington

It seems to be conflicting information on that. Will, can you please clear it up. Because I have read in various places that they are safe, somewhat safe, or toxic. So what’s the final answer?They are so easy to grow that even I can make them thrive so it would be nice if they were safe.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It seems to be conflicting information on that. Will, can you please clear it up. Because I have read in various places that they are safe, somewhat safe, or toxic. So what’s the final answer?They are so easy to grow that even I can make them thrive so it would be nice if they were safe.

The only 'evidence' that I can share is my experience. Of the tortoises I have put it in the enclosure of, all are okay even after eating some. They have free choice of many things. It is a native diet item for prehensile tailed skinks (Corucia zebrata).

If you have concerns doubts then don't use it. Some have said the problem is with shifting Latin names and poor identification and that the real toxic plant is a philodendron a look alike plant.

Wandering jew is just as easy if not easier to grow under same conditions and nobody seems to doubt it's edibility.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Pothos Ivy is often lumped into the "toxic" category because of its listing as an irritant to dogs and cats if they eat it. It does contain a form of oxalates that is also know as "raphides". They are extremely tiny, sharp crystals of calcium oxalate This is what is an irritant to mammals when eaten. In mammals it can cause swelling of the lips when chewed. It has no effect on reptiles and in particular, chelonians. All of my tortoise will eat it, but it doesn't seem a favorite food for them if other things are available.

While at the Behler Center, I actually spent time talking about this with the director, a highly respected reptile vet, as well as another of their vets on staff, and also their "head of gardening" was there. Since almost every enclosure there has pothos growing everywhere, and it is obviously one of their primary choices for plants in an enclosure, I had to ask their thoughts on this. They all agreed it perhaps the best choice for a plant for an enclosure with lower lighting problems, and posed no problem for a chelonian.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks for the answers guys. I admit that I have put it in my enclosures and have not had any issues. But I always think twice about it. But now I will put it in there or not worry at all :)

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I used to try to sink potted aloe plants into the substrate. But Artemis never once tried to graze on any of the live plants. I'm glad i got a reminder to grab a few more plants for her. Its been awhile since I kind of forgot about live plants. Im curiouse to see if she will try them now that she has had a recent growth spurt.
I'm definitely going to try more than just aloe this time.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
I used to try to sink potted aloe plants into the substrate. But Artemis never once tried to graze on any of the live plants. I'm glad i got a reminder to grab a few more plants for her. Its been awhile since I kind of forgot about live plants. Im curiouse to see if she will try them now that she has had a recent growth spurt.
I'm definitely going to try more than just aloe this time.
If you ever take a little taste of aloe, you will know they they don't eat it; although it seems similar to cactus, it tastes totally different(as in TERRIBLE). It is quite hardy though(I think the only way to kill it is to water it too much - if you plant it and forgot about it for six months, it will probably do great) so it can be good décor at least.