Heat bulbs .. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaraTort

5 Year Member
I have a tortoise table and a russian tort. I do have a heat lamp and uvb tube light. I need another lamp tho as one corner is hot, the rest is cold. In the pet shop they have bulbs but nothing to put it on and nothing to tell what temp or the wires and stuff.. just the bulb Any help on how to get the stuff needed? Thanks

bettinge

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
I buy the Power Sun 100 and 160 watt bulbs for both tortoises and bearded dragons. I also use the ReptiSun 5.0 tubes for chameleons. From all I have read over the years, these are good bulbs. I have had two PowerSun bulbs go bad before the 1 year warranty was up, and ZooMed replaced them no questions asked. I have noticed that the bulbs are now packaged better than 4 years ago, so I hope not to be asking for warranty replacements any more. Its a hassle. Remember to replace the bulb every 3000 hours of use or so, as the UVB out put is no longer acceptable!

M

Maggie Cummings

Are you just wanting something to keep the cool corner warmer? If that's all you need then go to Kmart or a hardware store (do they still have hardware stores?) and get a clamp light fixture, they cost about $8. Then put a black light bulb in it, also bought at Kmart for $4. That's what I use to warm up corners like that... and I leave it on 24/7. It's a color that the tortoises can't see so it doesn't bother their eyes and it's only 60 watts so it doesn't cost too much to leave on all the time...I use this way of making a warm spot in most of my habitats, it works really well...just for you I'll post a picture...:p
tee hee...I guess I could have taken a picture in a different habitat and not showed off the shower curtain liner. This is my box turtle's table...

2mzmmqc.jpg

TaraTort

5 Year Member
Yess it is just to keep a cooler corner warmer, im in the uk with no Kmart tho i will see if i can find something like that thankss :)

S

stells

The £14.95 one? i can't get the link to work sorry... if so then yes it will be fine... only thing is most of the conical's have an economy switch on them which cannot be used with alot of bulbs for tortoises... as long as you don't switch on the ecnomy it will be fine :D

TaraTort

5 Year Member
Yess that one i think i will get that one thank you for all the help

M

Maggie Cummings

If you already have one heat light and one UVB light you really can buy a cheap clamp light fixture and use a regular bulb. There is no reason to spend that much more money when it's not needed. You already have the bulbs that are needed and you just need something to warm up a corner...look at the stuff I have already suggested and think about it. Why spend all that much more money when it's not necessary? Believe me, I am experienced, right now I have about 30 turtles and tortoises and they are healthy. I don't spend a lot of money on their equipment...
Here is one of my tort tables so you can see how I keep my animals when they must be inside. I have a Trex 160 watt bulb in the center and a clamp light fixture with a black light bulb for warmth at night...

10gjmo8.jpg

aavib8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.