heat emitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
ive always wondered if a heat emitter is the best option for a redfoot. would i heat light be just as effective or is the heat emitter the best way? my heat emitter always drys out my moss for my refoot so fast. i always keep misting in there constantly to keep it moist, but it just drys it out so fast. let me know what everyone else does!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You can put it on a dimmer switch, and lower it or make it higher if you want. I don't like the light, because I think it would just be too bright. I just use a lot of plants in the enclosure and when I water them, the humidity stays pretty consistent .
027-3.jpg

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I use a heat emitter in combo with a partial (2/3) cover. The eviporation is caught by the cover making for humidity' It still dries the substrat but I don't have mist but twice a day. It (the che) is mounted in a a brooder fixture and hooked up to a humistat set at 85 degrees. A bright light discourages feeding in a redfoot.

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
I use a heat emitter and it's plugged into a rheostat that sits between medium and low.

I use a temp gun to check temps.
I spray and then cover the top of my entire enclosure which seems to do the trick with humidity.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Another option is a thermostat- a device that turns your heater on and off based on temps. I have one and LOVE the freedom- I rarely have to fiddle, and it is nice in a room that can fluctuate quite a bit otherwise.

Mine is a ZooMed version, but there are many on the market. Top end models (like Big Apple Herpetological) can even do night temp drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.