Heat emitters outdoors

LRobb88

5 Year Member
Hi, I've completed my enclosure and am wondering the best way to mount ceramic heat emitters in a way that they wont be a fire hazard or get ruined. With my sulcata he has a huge house so its no problem, we mount them inside, but this juvenile redfoot enclosure has a much smaller hide. Any ideas?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Be very careful however you mount it. Check the temperature AT TORTOISE SHELL HEIGHT directly under the bulb after its been running for hours. These make a SPOT of heat directly under the bulb and that is why I chose to stop using them for this sort of application. It often does a "slow burn" othe top of a larger tortoises carapace. I much prefer an overhead radiant heat panel. It does the same thing but spreads the same heat out over a larger area and never gets too hot in any one place. Radiant oil-filled heaters work great in this capacity too, and they heat the entire enclosure including the air they are breathing. Either way, copious insulation in your box helps.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Here is what I have rigged up;
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382302217.674701.jpg
This is in an enclosed habitat and is used as background heat. No tortoise basks under this. The torts sleep in humid hide boxes on the other side of enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator: