Heat Lamp on or off at night?

kassijo3432

Lately I've been turning off my tortoises heat lamp at night. The cage is open at the top and I keep my room around 65 to 70 degrees. And the heat lamp keeps the cage about 85 to 90 degrees. Is it safe to turn off the heat lamp at night or no? I'm not sure what the temp of the cage should be at night....

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
What type of tort do you have?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you keep the substrate damp? If yes, I would offer then a night heat source so your tort can move to that spot if the tort feels the need ....:D

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
If you use a "heat lamp" at night it should not emit any light. Just heat. A ceramic heating element (CHE) works great for this.

kassijo3432

Yeah he lives in Timothy hay and it stays dry.... And all he has is the heat lamp. I should have another light in his cage as well?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your Greek needs it dark at night and he does not need heat at night for those temps.

He might not need more light, but does he have a UV source? Where are you and does he get sunshine?

kassijo3432

Ok. He only has a heat lamp and we're in Washington so no sun here right now. Lately it's been snow.

Ascott, I was told that glass aquariums aren't good for tortoises.... And they recommended Timothy hay. The store I got this info from was an exotic pet store and they owned this massive tortoise. They seemed to know their stuff so I changed his aquarium and so far the plastic tub aware is the best I've got so far. And surprisingly he doesn't even eat the Timothy hay. Why do you ask?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The timothy hay will get moldy when damp and dusty when dry. Neither is good for your tort. Many keepers prefer a coco coir substrate to avoid the mold issue.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pease click the first link in my signature and read. Pet stores are notorious for giving bad advice, and yours appears to be no exception.

Here is a Russian tortoise care sheet, but it will work just fine for a Greek too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

There was nothing wrong with your aquarium, hay is not a good substrate, and your tortoise needs a UV source over winter if you are not goings to hibernate him/her. The pet store will likely try to sell you a coil type cfl. I recommend you not use that since they can sometimes burn tortoise eyes. Instead use a mercury vapor bulb for heat light and UV all in one, or use a long tube style florescent light along with the basking lamp you already have.

kassijo3432

So your suggesting coco coir bedding and a glass aquarium. With the heat lamp as well as a uv lighting. How big of a tank should he be in? He's 6inches now. That page you gave me said go big. Haha so idk what "big" would be for his size. :)

They have a heat lamp and a uv light all in one?....

I heard humidity isn't as big of a deal for Russians is that true? And does it relate to the Greek as well? Cause I don't have a source of humidity and it's fairly dry here.