Heat lamp question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penny525

5 Year Member
Currently, I am unable to put my Russian in an outdoor enclosure, though now that it is summer I will be taking her outside a lot to get some sunshine. Its getting hot here, in the 90s, and I don't have air conditioning so its about the same inside. In her indoor enclosure she gets her uv from a rectangle florescent light that doesn't emit heat. Her heat lamp is on the other side. In the spring and winter the temperatures were fine, but now that it is summer I don't want her to overheat. So, does she need the heat lamp on if the temperatures are 85-95 in here already? I could set up a fan in here to make it a little cooler and then keep it on. I have been turning it off in the middle of the day but leaving it on in morning and evening.

Casey666

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
Penny525 said:
Currently, I am unable to put my Russian in an outdoor enclosure, though now that it is summer I will be taking her outside a lot to get some sunshine. Its getting hot here, in the 90s, and I don't have air conditioning so its about the same inside. In her indoor enclosure she gets her uv from a rectangle florescent light that doesn't emit heat. Her heat lamp is on the other side. In the spring and winter the temperatures were fine, but now that it is summer I don't want her to overheat. So, does she need the heat lamp on if the temperatures are 85-95 in here already? I could set up a fan in here to make it a little cooler and then keep it on. I have been turning it off in the middle of the day but leaving it on in morning and evening.

i would say to buy a thermometer to monitor the temperature. Does your lamp have a dimmer? because if it does then you can turn it down. I think Russians can be in 100F and no more then that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No you don't need the heat lamp as long as the temps stay in the range for your species. I have a leopard and I have the heat light on some of the times, when our nights get colder. Otherwise it's off for the summer. If the heat light is a MVB it can't go on a dimmer or thermostat. They have to cool off once they are turned off before they can come back on again.

Penny525

5 Year Member
wellington said:
No you don't need the heat lamp as long as the temps stay in the range for your species. I have a leopard and I have the heat light on some of the times, when our nights get colder. Otherwise it's off for the summer. If the heat light is a MVB it can't go on a dimmer or thermostat. They have to cool off once they are turned off before they can come back on again.

Okay, thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't trust any fluorescent bulb as a sole surce of UV. The coil type compact fluorescent ones are known to be potential harmful to them, so I wouldn't trust a rectangle one either. If you click the links in my signature there are a couple of ideas for really cheap and easy secure portable outdoor pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.